Junkers J.1001 canard Flying Wing

Started by Tophe, February 07, 2010, 06:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

I am lazy  >:( to go back to my 1/32 P-38 with so many putty and sanding to perform...maybe in late June.
So my next one will be the what-if version of the Junkers J.1000 Unicraft resin 1/144 (see  http://www.unicraft.biz/bigph/j1000.htm ). Mine will be rather different: even 1/144, the beast is 60cm (2ft) wide and I will reduce it to 25cm (10in) as sesquiplane, with 5 canopies 1/72 and no engine. That is the project of mine.
:blink:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

B777LR

Whats that beast?!? (not the one you are doing, the one in the link!)

Brian da Basher

Wow that's practically a whiff right out of the box!

I can't wait to see what you do with it, Tophe!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Tophe

Tophe

I have drawn the project of the J.1001. Sorry, it lacks the impressive beauty of the J.1000 (wider in 1922 than an Airbus A380 of 2005), but I simply have not enough room in my shelves, and the what-if J.1000 model has already been built by someone, so I want to make something different, what-ifing further. :blink:
So... the 1/144 4-engined inhabited flying-wing (+ pilot pod) monoplane will become a 1/72 sesquiplane engine-less (powered by mind force) with 5 pods enjoying panoramic frontal view (despite booms and foreplane...):

PR19_Kit

A glider ekranoplan, no less!

Nice one Tophe.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks Kit, to have found some "reason" :lol:
Well, the first sawing and gluing gave shape to the reduced J.1001:

Tophe

Putty and sanding has begun.
But the project must be updated: the lateral engines were adapted only to the swept leading edge, so there will be only 2 lateral canopies, not 4:

Tophe

Aspect now. Next steps:
- sanding the two lateral pods (now standing on the fuselages for drying)
- painting black the canopies
- painting sky blue the rest
- gluing the lateral pods and the central one

Tophe

I fear the lateral pods are too small: to be panoramic passenger pods with canopies, the scale should be 1/144, while the all glazed central pod was aimed to be 1/72. Maybe those lateral pods will be radars or something, plain sky blue. And maybe both on starboard to add a touch of asymmetry :blink:... ;D

PR19_Kit

Tophe,

Put the lateral pods underneath and then they could be the 'mind force transducers' to keep it off the ground..........  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2010, 02:58:44 AM
Put the lateral pods underneath and then they could be the 'mind force transducers' to keep it off the ground..........  -_-
I'd like this mind-force dream, thanks for it. Alas, thes pods are made to adapt on the big leading edge of the wing, and putting them elsewhere would be a tremendous work... I am a what-ifer, yes, but hard-work still frightens me a little. Sorry... :blink:

PACOPEPE

Very interesting. Would not be better engines like pusher propeller?. And a configuration as a big floatplane (like The Dornier Do-X), as the draft transatlantic flights of thirties?.

Excuse me for my dare.

Cheers
Fran