H.P. Herald Maritime Patrol

Started by kitnut617, January 29, 2010, 10:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Something I've been thinking about recently.  So the Fokker Friendship became a Troopship and a Maritime Patrol aircraft so why not the Herald, it's basically the same configuration.  I got thinking about this because of an article I've read in a recent Air-Britain Archive magazine, there's a multi part article on the Herald and there's a photo of the second Dart engined prototype in the first part of the article, showing it was equipped with 330 Gal. underwing fuel tanks with pylons.  What is interesting about this is that in the very same magazine is a photo of a Friendship with what looks like almost identical tanks hanging from under it's wings.  After some enquiries, I've found out that the tanks Fokker used were actually made by Westland when it was under GKN control and then looking at the design a bit closer, I've got an idea they were evolved from the underwing tanks that were tested on a Welkin, at least you can see a family resemblance.

So for my Maritime Herald I think it will have the tanks, and then maybe some Sea Skuas hanging off the fuselage in tandem on each side, maybe some Canadian markings or something like that   ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Sounds an interesting project Robert, I was wondering what to do with the Fokker friendship kit I have, and a maritime patrol version sounds good.
Looking forward to this one  :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Robert,

Those tanks were an option on any of the Series 200 Heralds, and at least one airline operated them like that, Maritime Central comes to mind. Plus I believe the Malaysian Air Force Series 400s had them too.

Found these in my files if they are of any use.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Thanks for that Kit, now I can see a good side view they're actually quite a bit bigger than the F-27 tanks.

apophenia

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 29, 2010, 10:34:49 AM
... maybe some Canadian markings or something like that 

Makes sense. Canadair proposed a CL-202 to the RCAF in 1962. This tactical transport/navigation trainer was to be similar to the rear-ramped H.P.124 Military Herald. But why not a standard Dart Herald?

Mossie

How about robbing some Napier Elands or Maybe Allison T56's for a CL-66 alternative?  Or if you want some serious power, Tynes?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on January 29, 2010, 03:27:04 PM
How about robbing some Napier Elands or Maybe Allison T56's for a CL-66 alternative?  Or if you want some serious power, Tynes?

Well I will have four RR AE 2100 D3's once I upgrade my C-130J with Jennifer Wright's repacement engines -----

apophenia

Or go back to the original Herald formula of four small engines for long-range MP cruising. PT6s would work.

About the Napier Eland: Canadair and the RCAF had terrrible experiences with the Eland in the Cosmo. Did others fare better with the Elands? (Just curious, sorry for the hijack.)