Reel World TIE 1X

Started by philp, January 28, 2010, 11:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

So I had heard that this kit (one of the Revell Easy Snap small kits) was pretty close to 72nd scale so I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby and picked it up.  Figured I would do a repaint, fill seams, etc.  Opened the package and sure looks smaller than my FineMolds TIE so did a little research on the web which showed the "Reel" vehicle to be 9.2 meters long and the kit says it is 2.8 inches long.  Quick calculation later the kit seems to scale out closer to 129th scale which is no where near my 72nd collection.  What to do, what to do.

So I said heck with it and snapped it together with no additional paint or putty (did use a little glue on some spots for added strength and now I have my first completed build for 2010 in just over an hours time. :party:

Kit has decent detail and Darth is in there too.

One step closer to my goal of 12 builds this year.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Taiidantomcat

That looks really, really, good  :thumbsup: I went into Tie fighter hell when i decided i wanted to scratch build a 1/32 Tie interceptor. A lot fo the "approved measurements" given in the SW universe don't add up to kits and their alleged scales.  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

That's the catch though TT - a lot of the models are based off the studio pieces, with the pilot scaled for reference IIRC.  The dimensions are written in the expanded universe, and one would question whether the people who make the models pay attention to things like that in the long stretch.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Nick

It's back to the old days with these snap-tite kits! They are all box scale.... :rolleyes:

Brian da Basher

Nice TIE fighter there Phil! It's great to see you off and running with your first completed model for 2010. Not only that, but this one's sweet enough for a Whiffie nod...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

dragon

Quote from: Sauragnmon on January 30, 2010, 04:20:49 PM
That's the catch though TT - a lot of the models are based off the studio pieces, with the pilot scaled for reference IIRC.  The dimensions are written in the expanded universe, and one would question whether the people who make the models pay attention to things like that in the long stretch.
I went CSI on this.
I verified that my 1/72 Fine Molds X-wing pilot figure was for all intents and purposes the same size as a 1/72 Modern USAF pilot figure from Hasegawa (the one with the van).  Side by side, there really was no significant size difference.  However when compared to the 1/72 Fine Molds Y-wing pilot figure, the Y-wing's pilot was much smaller than the X-wing's pilot figure.  The pilot figures for the TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor also showed no significant difference when compared to the 1/72 Modern USAF Pilot figure from Hasegawa.  Perhaps the Rebellion uses anorectic teenagers as Y-wing pilots or the news that they are recruiting Ewoks might be true.   
One more thing, the Y-wing is a tailsitter if one does not use noseweights.
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST