F

Sea Jaguar

Started by F-32, March 24, 2004, 04:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F-32

Found these on the internet today, enjoy!  

F-32

F-32

F-32

F-32

F-32

Captain Canada

Aesome ! Really like the painting....so tough looking, that Jaguar !

Too bad the French went thru all that trouble, not to use it !

How come, the engines too weak ?

Thanks !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

QuoteAesome ! Really like the painting....so tough looking, that Jaguar !

Too bad the French went thru all that trouble, not to use it !

How come, the engines too weak ?
The initial variants of the engine might have been too weak, but that was fixable.  What really killed it was Dassault being better connected with the French government and selling the Super Etendard instead.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

uk 75

Sea Jaguar

In fairness to the French they had a bit of a conundrum.  Their F8 Crusaders were not bad air defence aircraft, at least compared with a Jaguar.  The Etendard was not much of plane but it had been developed around the AN52 bomb and Exocet etc.  Jaguar did not offer much of an improvement on either, and of course was not wholly French.

The country that has of course got closest to the Maritime Jaguar, albeit on land bases is India.  India's Jaguars have a naval attack radar and asms. If India had purchased Hermes in 1970 instead of 1984 or so it could have operated a real fixed wing carrier with Jaguars replacing Seahawks.

Unfortunately for the UK, although Tony Buttler mentions the RN as a potential customer for Jaguar until the 1966 CVA01 cancellation it is hard to see why they should give up Buccaneers for Jaguars even on the older Hermes and Victorious.
Where Jaguar might have stood a chance was on the Centaur class if they had not been converted or scrapped.

The absence of a carrier between the USS Essex/Hermes/Foch and the Magnificent/Minaes Gerais/Karel Doorman/Melbourne/Bonaventure size was a major problem for NATO and the Jaguar.

UK75

Martin H

QuoteIn the same way the French will always try to sell a Mirage on the export market inplace of a Jag.
Notice how all export Jags were British built.  The Jag M was prefered by some french naval aircrew but politics as always got in the way. Same as the F-8 jockeys whanted to get their hands on super Hornets rather than the Rafale, but the suits in Paris had no real option (if they whanted to retain their seats in the national assembly) except opt for the Rafale.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

nev

I love pic 4 with that beefy Jag undercarriage at full stretch, just before touchdown.

I remember seeing a piccie of an RAF Jag taking of from a stretch of motorway many years ago.....

As for the French Jag.  In French service, its still pretty much the same light attack/advanced trainer type it was when it 1st entered service.  Whereas the RAF jags have been constantly upgraded to keep their avionics up to date and as such is a *much* more capable airplane.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Nick

QuoteI remember seeing a piccie of an RAF Jag taking of from a stretch of motorway many years ago.....
The BAe Heritage group had a nice display of these pics at the Nats a couple of years ago, IIRC the motorway (M70 something?) had just been built and the RAF/BAe were keen to show off the Jags capability.
Now if it had been racing a Jag car it would have been even better! :D

Nick B)  

Captain Canada

That Naval Jaguar would have been good for Canada.....we coulda used 'em for the RCN and as a rough-field performer....instead of ( my beloved ) CF-5 !

A few trips to Norway with that cool RAF style white-out camo........

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?