Jagdpanzer 120mm WIP

Started by redram, January 25, 2010, 08:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redram

This project is based on a vehicle from the roleplaying game "Twighlight 2000".
Twighlight 2000 is about an alternate reality in wich there was an all out war in central Europe in the last two decades of the 20th century.
The players are able to select from a great range of real and fictional vehicles. In the category "best self porpelled guns that never were" You can find this:
"While the Twilight War was going on, some of the older Jagdpanzer 90s were upgraded by replacing their main guns with 120mm guns, and called the Jagdpanzer-120. These vehicles entered service in late 1997 and gave a good accounting of themselves in combat."   
small picture:

I use the 1/35 scale Revell Kanonenjagdpanzer

Revell made some errors with the mould, so I´ll also use this project to test some conversions and details I´ll add to my "normal" Kanonenjagdtpanzer.

For example:
Revell forget to display all the cover plate locking points

orginal:

model:

correction:

The 120mm gun is of course a lot heavier than the standard 90mm gun, so the suspension is changed to a somewhat "head down" setting:

The barrel has to be lifted:

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Whoooohoooooo.....great stuff :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

GTX

Quote from: Radish on January 25, 2010, 12:29:31 PM
Whoooohoooooo.....great stuff :thumbsup:

What he said ...and welcome aboard!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

That is such a cool idea!  :thumbsup: Welcome aboard  :ph34r: nice work of making the vehicle show a little extra weight up front  :tank:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

The rest of guys have pretty much covered it all. Great project and welcome to the asylum  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

redram

Glad You liked it  ;D
The drawing shows that the Jagdpanzer 120 is equipped with the additional armour of the Jaguar tankhunter.
My version will have more improvised armour plates, looking more like been cut from other tanks.
Pictures coming soon, I have fix some camera problems.

buzzbomb

Cool stuff.
I like the way this is coming together

Love Twilight 2000 genre.. so much great modelling fodder.. between that and Traveller, the sci fi RPG you could get a lifetime of builds

Steel Penguin

buzzbomb, my problem came when i got a copy of fire, fusion and steel.  I had the problem of an over active inagination, and a tool set that let me build it,  i lost days with the damm thing.   Still the saw range of 12 guage weapons proved very posular with the dark conspicacy party. and the 5.56 swap rifle was always something to drop on folks.  and the underslung meason gun was considered so scary that no one ever let me use it.

redram waiting for more shots, is it going to be fully "gypsyed" up? and given the normal graffity as well?
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

redram

Quote from: Steel Penguin on February 02, 2010, 01:20:09 AMredram waiting for more shots
Sorry, still camera trouble, I could draw something, but I don´t think it would be usefull... ;D

Quote from: Steel Penguin on February 02, 2010, 01:20:09 AMis it going to be fully "gypsyed" up? and given the normal graffity as well?
Yes! There will be a wild color mix, the old olive green, with patches of NATO tree tone (the gun for example) and a lot of wear and tear.
There will be also a lot of bags, boxes, barbed wire rolls...

redram

After spending the last few month in the back of the closet the big gun is back at table:

There are only few spare parts in the Twighlight universe, so the rollers are old and with a lot of wear:

I suggest, that the Jagdpanzer 120 would have the same problem as one of his ancestors the Jagdpanzer IV L/70.
The heavy gun overloads the front suspension. So the front rollers will have to be replaced more often than the others.

In addition to the gun from Leo 2, the tank also looted some spare parts from a Leo 1:
Side skirts:

To improve the armour protection there is the addition of some cut out steel plates, made of scrap material:

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

tanktastic43

I'm liking the look of this.  :thumbsup:

tt43.

nev

Yep, looking very good so far :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May