Me 262 nightfighter Fuerza Aérea Argentina

Started by beowulf, January 24, 2010, 12:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

this from an Alternative Time Line project i have got going somewhere else which spans 60 years from 1937

General Peron has been President of Argentina for 4 years and seeks formal acceptance into the Axis Alliance. Previously they had merely a trade agreement but now are made a welcome addition to the Alliance, not just a valuable source of supplies they now provide a large contingent of troops for the conflict in North and Western Africa with the Commonwealth Forces.

They are seen as a very useful nation as they can develop and produce weapons and technology for the Alliance well away from the prying eyes and reach of the Commonwealth. Large research and production facilities are built near Mar del Plata and Buenos Aries.

As part of the agreement Argentina are supplied with over 250 aircraft to modernise its Air Force until it can produce newer aircraft for it self. This included 30 Me 262 specifically meant for point defence of the new factories........broke down as 20 single seater day fighters and 10 twin seat night fighters.

Although already nearing obsolescence in Europe they give valuable service in the Fuerza Aérea Argentina for years to come.......enabling it to become the first Latin American country to have jet fighters in its inventory, although this would be a contributing factor which leads to the formation of the Continental Americas Treaty Organisation the following year.

Shown is a Me 262-F-U2 night fighter based at El Palomar Military Air Base near Buenos Aires

Kit is by SMER in 1/72 and is not too clever to be honest, had a Revell Me 262 in the stash and i wish i had used that instead. I have an allergy to modern aircraft in grey since they are so boring but figured a German splinter type camo scheme in 2 tone grey might look different and be suitable for a nightfighter from this era. Decals are by FCM, first time ive used them and found them to be slightly out of register but hey ho
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Allan

Convincing AH and great model!
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

beowulf

thanks for the comments, guys....appreciated  :thumbsup:
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

nev

Absolutely gorgeous colour scheme :wub:

Interesting backstory too, Argentina as part of a global Axis block.  Who else - Spain, South Africa?  Ireland?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

beowulf

Quote from: nev on January 25, 2010, 12:14:49 PM
Interesting backstory too, Argentina as part of a global Axis block.  Who else - Spain, South Africa?  Ireland?

in my Time Line its Germany,Italy and Spain as the main nations, Hungary,Austria and Argentina are minor players.............Japan is associated to the Axis Alliance but has limited contact (like in the real world) but are removed from the scenario in 1945 thanks to the Russians

Sauragnmon

Very nice splinter pattern on there.  The kit might have been a pain, but it looks like she paid off beautifully at the end of the day.  Really, a nice piece of work, Beowulf.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.