Main Menu

Haulin' trash GB?

Started by Black Knight, January 17, 2010, 01:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Knight

Kind of a bit obvious, gives it away in the title  :lol: Any ideas?
As The Dark Master rests, the Black Knight protects the New Commonwealth.

Aerotech, Keeping you ahead by any means.

Daryl J.

Back date it.   Roman nose, radials cowled along the line of the Stratocruiser/B-50, rounded flying surfaces, shortened fuselage.   Etc.

:cheers: (Absinthe)
Daryl J., tossing out an idea

Weaver

Ultra-STOL it with stuff originally developed for the Buffalo:

4 x overwing turbofans with USB flaps as per NASA's QSRA,

Air-cushioned landing system as per the XC-8A ACLS.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

beowulf

2 sets of wings and bi plane it...........maybe an extra 2 engines on the lower wing
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Weaver

Or a tandem wing: two sets of clipped wings in tandem with the front pair mounted low and the rear pair, carrying the engines, mounted high.

Quick 'n' dirty:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

upnorth

Quote from: Weaver on January 17, 2010, 07:52:48 PM
Or a tandem wing: two sets of clipped wings in tandem with the front pair mounted low and the rear pair, carrying the engines, mounted high.

Quick 'n' dirty:

You know, if you put big ducted fans on the ends of all four wings , you could conceivably call that the operational version of the Bell X-22.  :wub:

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

philp

Guys, those don't look anything like the Hercules.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

B777LR

Oh goody! The model shop has a good offer on the AFV club Hercules! :o

Mossie

The Airfix 1/144 kit of the HP-42 Heracles still does the rounds too, it's a Hercules, just by a different name....! :wacko:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Well with a Dragon Type-42 Batch 1, some Exocet boxes and a fair bit of plasticard, you could always make the Hércules:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_H%C3%A9rcules

;)

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Ooooh, almost forgot the Spruce Goose, it's real name was Hercules!

We could probably go on a bit further.... :wacko:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Weaver

On another forum I frequent, the issues/problems with the Stryker were much discussed, including the absolute limits on it's size imposed by the C-130's cargo bay, which caused particular problems with the MGS variant. I've always argued that this is putting the cart before the horse: you don't compromise the capability of the "sharp end" fighting units for the convenience of the logistics assets that get them there!

What I proposed, with tongue only partly in cheek, was a "Fatter Albert". Since C-130s can be stretched, it's obvious that the short version is bulking out before reaching it's weight limit, so why not design a new, fatter fuselage that uses the same C-130 wings, tail, cockpit, systems etc.. in order to reduce development time and cost and get it into service ASAP? It would be resolutely NOT cutting edge: no carbon fibre, no fancy new systems, just a bigger tin tube: how hard could that be?

Model-wise, take a C-130, cut each fuselage half in half lengthways and assemble it with four spacer strips to increase the diameter. Issues to resolve would be the tail ramp slope, the windscreen and the nose and tail taper.

- Indiana Jones

Ed S

Obviously the thing to build for this group build would be a C-130 powered by Bristol Hercules engines carrying a couple Nike Hercules missiles under the wings.  I guess you could mate two engines in each nacelle to provide sufficient power.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

B777LR

Quote from: Ed S on January 19, 2010, 10:12:44 AM
Obviously the thing to build for this group build would be a C-130 powered by Bristol Hercules engines carrying a couple Nike Hercules missiles under the wings.  I guess you could mate two engines in each nacelle to provide sufficient power.

Ed

With an M88 Hercules heavy recovery vehicle in the cargo bay, operating off the ARA Hercules, converted into a carrier...