UCAV aircraft carrier.

Started by chrisonord, January 14, 2010, 06:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have had this idea rattling around the sawdust box for a while now after seeing that UCAV take off and land on an aircraft carrier.
What about them having their own carrier? The UCAV's can be stored in a magazine whilst not in use or when not being serviced, and lifted up one by one as needed for arming and launching.
As the carrier will be much smaller and compact, the deck won't need to be overly long nor will it need a steam catapult system.
The UCAV's can be launched using a MAGLEV system like that used on the trains but will be able to move the craft quicker to launch them.
When the UCAV's come back in to land, the same system can be used to slow and stop them.
Fewer crew would be needed, and twice as many UCAV's could be carried compared to a conventional carrier.
Any ideas would be interesting
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on January 14, 2010, 06:47:54 AM
As the carrier will be much smaller and compact, the deck won't need to be overly long nor will it need a steam catapult system.
The UCAV's can be launched using a MAGLEV system like that used on the trains but will be able to move the craft quicker to launch them.

At one stage there were plans afoot to fit out the two 'Queen Elizabeth' class carriers with an electro-magnetic rail catapult, and they may being built with that still possible as an upgrade. And I think there were similar plans to re-fit one of the big USN carriers with similar systems. Perhaps one of our more informed American members may know a bit more on this?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Ahah, see here. All sorts of useful gen, and even a piccie of a UCAV above a carrier!

http://frn.beedall.com/cvf1-25.htm
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

To anyone interested in UCAV Aircraft Carriers, may I suggest the SEA ARCHER: Distributed Aviation Platform done back in 2001 under the Total Ship Systems Engineering Program at NPS.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

The UCAVs that have been shown so far aren't all that small. They also don't look like their takeoff speed will be much lower than manned aircraft, so you'll still need a pretty significant ship to get enough deck space for the catapult and arrestor system.

A useful UAV carrier would need new, smaller UCAV designs, but smaller UCAVs mean less payload. Make the aircraft too small, and it can't carry enough to be useful.

GTX

Ah, but with precision weapons do you really need large payloads?

Regards,

Greg

chrisonord

Quote from: Hobbes on January 14, 2010, 10:33:56 AM
The UCAVs that have been shown so far aren't all that small. They also don't look like their takeoff speed will be much lower than manned aircraft, so you'll still need a pretty significant ship to get enough deck space for the catapult and arrestor system.

A useful UAV carrier would need new, smaller UCAV designs, but smaller UCAVs mean less payload. Make the aircraft too small, and it can't carry enough to be useful.
But would you need all that if you used a magnetic field launch and arrestor system?
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Hobbes

Quote from: GTX on January 14, 2010, 10:46:32 AM

Well, the smallest smart bomb in use today is the 250 lb SDB. Missiles are in that weight range as well if you want any range at all. Of course it's possible to design smaller weapons, I wonder what the smallest effective weapon would be?

QuoteBut would you need all that if you used a magnetic field launch and arrestor system?

You still need enough runway length to accellerate/brake the aircraft to more than stall speed without breaking it. Unmanned aircraft can be made to take higher G loadings, but there's a weight penalty to that.

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on January 14, 2010, 01:01:48 PM
Quote from: GTX on January 14, 2010, 10:46:32 AM

Well, the smallest smart bomb in use today is the 250 lb SDB. Missiles are in that weight range as well if you want any range at all. Of course it's possible to design smaller weapons, I wonder what the smallest effective weapon would be?

It really depends upon your target - the GBU-39/GBU-40 SDBs are designed to be equivalent to much larger weapons such as the as the 2000 lb BLU-109s and equiv.  If you wanted something that could say, enter through a window and take out a single room in a building, you could get by with something much smaller. 

Regards,

Greg