EA-6 Prowler Gerry Anderson style

Started by Cobra, January 14, 2010, 12:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, had a Thought, What If the EA-6 'Prowler were used as the Basis for a 'Gerry Anderson' style Fighter,Etc.????? thought with the plane having 4 Seats it might work for an Interceptor,AWACS for a ground team,Whatever. What say You??????? thanks for Looking. Dan

Silver Fox

If it was VTOL, it might make a nice rapid reaction aircraft or executive jet for Spectrum or International Rescue.

Weaver

Engines are in the right place for STOVL (not nearly powerful enough though) and don't forget that the prototype actually had deflecting jet pipes (which is why the engines are where they are). Of course, you could take a "very Gerry" approach to the engineering, stick some Harrier nozzles on it anyway, and claim that the engines are spectacularly powerful futuristic nuclear-powered ones or some such.

In fact, why not go the whole hog and give it swing wings that fold right back along the body and tailplanes that fold up alongside the fin in the hover, thus allowing it to land and take off from some improbably small hiding place.... ;D

It's hard to make the Prowler's pug nose look sexily pointed because it's cross-section at the bulkhead is a strange inverted triangle, so unless you scratchbuild, nothing else will fit. One possibility might be to swap the engine "pods" for fully circular ones, which would then enable you to re-profile the nose to a circular section. Wouldn't hurt with the illusion of more power too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

McGreig

Quote from: Weaver on January 14, 2010, 10:29:53 AM
It's hard to make the Prowler's pug nose look sexily pointed because it's cross-section at the bulkhead is a strange inverted triangle, so unless you scratchbuild, nothing else will fit.

Oh yeah??!! :wacko:

deathjester

That is sooo sexy it hurts!!  (Pause, cold shower.),  looks a bit like a mini Victor from above...

chrisonord

Quote from: Cobra on January 14, 2010, 12:22:37 AM
Hey Guys, had a Thought, What If the EA-6 'Prowler were used as the Basis for a 'Gerry Anderson' style Fighter,Etc.????? thought with the plane having 4 Seats it might work for an Interceptor,AWACS for a ground team,Whatever. What say You??????? thanks for Looking. Dan
I am not running on all four at the moment, but let me have a think about this one also. Didn't they use some cut down EA-6's on the Buck Rodger series, they were enemy fighters.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

ysi_maniac

Quote from: McGreig on January 14, 2010, 10:38:27 AM
It's hard to make the Prowler's pug nose look sexily pointed because it's cross-section at the bulkhead is a strange inverted triangle, so unless you scratchbuild, nothing else will fit.

Hey how is this project right now? THIS MUST BE FINISHED! WE NEED!!
Will die without understanding this world.

Silver Fox

You could make the nose sharper like the F-22 or F-35. That would give it more of a 'go fast' look.

Weaver

Quote from: McGreig on January 14, 2010, 10:38:27 AM

Damn, I'd forgotten all about that - nice one!  :thumbsup: And I nearly mentioned Su-17 wings too, but then I had the "total fold" idea.

How did you do the nose BTW? Your original thread doesn't say....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

McGreig

Quote from: Weaver on January 14, 2010, 06:49:00 PM
How did you do the nose BTW? Your original thread doesn't say....

It's the tip (about 1 cm) of an Esci Blinder nose (The Blinder was an ill-fated VG conversion which was damaged and had parts go missing in a house move a few years ago, so it's not as extravagant as it sounds - - -). I thinned down the plastic of the Blinder tip and slid it on to the Prowler nose, which wasn't cut or trimmed, and then blended it in with putty.

Quote from: ysi_maniac on January 14, 2010, 11:22:34 AM
Hey how is this project right now? THIS MUST BE FINISHED! WE NEED!!

I've restarted it, although not much as happened yet, and posted an update in the build thread.