US Early Air to Ground Rockets

Started by Mossie, January 12, 2010, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

This might be a good excuse to kick off a discussion on these, but the main reason I posted is because I need some help with identification.  Top rocket is 5" HVAR, bottom is HVAR with RAM anti-tank warhead.  I don't the small ones or the long middle rocket (it's this one I'm particularly interested in).

Any info on these rockets would be great, but any information on the longest rocket in the middle such as period & types used on will be gratefully received & any pics of mountings etc would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Simon. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Simon,
No luck but the smaller ones look like practice rounds.

Do you know what museum the pic was taken at?  Might be able to get a listing of displays.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Logan Hartke

This wasn't Eglin, was it?  Next time I'm over there, I might be able to get a closer look at a few things on display there.

Cheers,

Logan

Mossie

Thanks guys, it was taken at the Maturango Museum at China Lake apparentley.

I've got another photo that seems to show both those types displayed next to an Argentinian Morane Saulnier MS-760.  The long type seems to be mounted on the wings too & possibly has the ATAR (anti tank aerial rocket) warhead.

Just as a point of interest, if anyone can identify the other stores in this photo that'd be great.  I think the store closest is a rocket pod for the Oerlikon/Hispano SNORA, I'm not sure about the origin of the bombs.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tanktastic43

Not much help but the very top rocket in the museum pic looks like the 'Tiny Tim'.

Try this web site : www.designation-systems.net.

Good luck.  :thumbsup:

tt43.

Mossie

The text that goes with the photo reads:
QuoteRocket display at the Maturango Museum including 5" HVAR, 6.5" RAM ATAR and 2.75" rockets, 1962.
See very last photo on this page: http://www.chinalakealumni.org/1962.htm

From this I'm pretty sure I can identify, top to bottom:
1. 5" HVAR
2. 2.75" rockets (I don't know much else about these)
3. Unknown, this is the one I want to identify.
4. 6.5" RAM ATAR (5" HVAR body with anti-tank warhead)
5. 6.5" RAM ATAR warhead cutaway

I don't think Tiny Tim isn't there, it was a much bigger rocket at 11.75" in diameter, although it's very similar in shape to the HVAR.

***edit to provide correct dimensional information for the Tiny Tim FFAR diameter: 11.75" (298.45mm)***

philp

Simon,
Try emailing a copy of the picture (or a link) to these people and see if they can shed some light on it.
Maturango Museum - Harris Brokke (CEO)
matmus6@maturango.org

U.S. Naval Museum of Armament & Technology (at China Lake)
clmf1@ridgenet.net

Since the display pic is from 1962, it may not exist any more but they should be able to track down info from previous displays.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Re the Ms.760 pic, I thought SNORAs didn't use a pod? In a lot of applications they're stacked together: the tail fins are on a ring that slides forward up the body for loading, hooked onto the wings of the one above, then when it fires, the rocket moves through the ring until it "unhooks" in the aft position.  

Edit  - nope sorry, that's the SURA rocket: the SNORA did indeed use pods.... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '