Privateer MR.2 FINISHED!!!

Started by TallEng, January 09, 2010, 02:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

A long time ago (so probably last year) somebody asked who would be the first to WIFF the Revell (ex Matchbox) Privateer, I don't know if I am the first, but here's my attempt. But first the back story (such as it is)  :unsure:
Its early 1951 and NATO has just been formed, this among other things leads to a considerable increase in Coastal Command's commitments, and they need to obtain additional aircraft quickly. The Shackleton is only just entering service and there is no way that Avro's can accelerate production to supply the aircraft the RAF needs, so negotiations are opened for a substitute. Unfortunately the RAF's preferred option the Lockheed Neptune is also unavailable due to Lockheed experiencing production difficulties.....
So the search was widened; eventually Consolidated managed  to scrape together 50 PB4Y-2 airframes and where able to offer the RAF a deal which was hard to ignore.
Consolidated offered to supply the Privateer with state of the art Maritime surveillance equipment at a very favourable price.
The first 6 aircraft where delivered as straight PB4Y Privateer's to enable the RAF to begin crew familiarisation and where known as the Privateer MR.1 in Coastal Command service. These aircraft were delivered in Late 1951 early 1952, with the fully modified aircraft starting to equip the Squadrons in Late 1952.
The Privateer lasted in RAF service until early 1957.
So on with the pictures!

first thoughts....

another thought...

close up's

And for those with an enquiring mind, the bits used so far (from the kit) include the front and rear fairings from the Freighter version to fair the nose in (plus the bomb aimers window) and the gunners blisters to form the "thing on the fin", I also used the rear 3/4 of a Grumman Prowler (of unknown origin) and 1/2 a Meteor NF11's radome (both for the MAD fairing)
more later, what do you think?
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

GTX

Nice start - looking forward to the result.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

beowulf

i think it works a treat!..................look forward to seeing how it ends up
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

JayBee

Yes, YEs, YES.  :wub:

I love this to bits :thumbsup:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ohh that's the way to kick a*se and make an entrance  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

Seems like a perfectly believable idea...   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

philp

Nice start.  Look forward to seeing more.

I was thinking of whiffing the plane, maybe make it a twin tail, turn the engines more horizontal, maybe get rid of those big waist blisters. :thumbsup:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

I think this is a fascinating start :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

NARSES2

Looking forward to this  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sideshowbob9

thedarkmaster

Got one of these but never been able to face doing it   ;D  ;D  ;D, don't think i will bother now, looks like you've cracked it.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

PR19_Kit

Quote from: philp on January 09, 2010, 11:07:04 PM
I was thinking of whiffing the plane, maybe make it a twin tail, turn the engines more horizontal, maybe get rid of those big waist blisters. :thumbsup:

Hehehe, I know where YOU'RE coming from philp! Or maybe going back to......... -_-

Seriously this is one NEAT idea, and almost believable, as all good back stories are. Would the RAF have based their first Squadron at Topcliffe, where I was living back then, and would I have seen one? I could have sworn those big American aircraft only had two engines, but perhaps I miscounted, I was only 9 or 10 anyway.  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Small update today,

Rear fuselage showing MAD stinger faired in (needs more putty) and addition of Shackleton Radome

and a little teaser :wacko:

TTFN.
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

ysi_maniac

This project looks really impressive!
Will die without understanding this world.