Copplestone Castings

Started by Weaver, January 07, 2010, 01:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Copplestone Castings mainly do 28mm wargames stuff, but there are some items I think would be of more general interest here.

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/

Under High Adventure, there are some splendid 1920s/30s pilot figures.

Under Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (James Bondish stuff) there are sets of bad guy's control room furniture: 1960s computer consoles etc. This is just an example, and you can buy these seperately too.

There are various tanks and AFVs on different sections, including a snowcat, WWI-1920s tanks and a Rolls Royce armoured car.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I've got some Copplestone stuff (yes I'm still a closet wargammer) and can vouch for how good they are  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Am I correct in assuming that 28mm works out at approximately 1/48th-ish? :blink:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

25mm is near 72nd scale Rad so not really. As for 28mm it depends, there are various 28mm models. It can be the height from foot to eye or the overall figure height including base or lots of other things  :banghead: Copplestone are on the "large" side of 28mm.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

thedarkmaster

Quotethere are various 28mm models.

When i worked  at Games Workshop the rule of thumb was 28mm to the eye, but over the years that has grown so the 28mm scale is a little variable

Does anyone know if Copplestone miniatures are bt Mark Copplestone the ex Games Workshop designer ?

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Weaver

Quote from: thedarkmaster on January 07, 2010, 03:56:11 AM

Quotethere are various 28mm models.

When i worked  at Games Workshop the rule of thumb was 28mm to the eye, but over the years that has grown so the 28mm scale is a little variable

Does anyone know if Copplestone miniatures are bt Mark Copplestone the ex Games Workshop designer ?

The guy's name is Mark: don't know if it's the same one, but it seems likely.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: thedarkmaster on January 07, 2010, 03:56:11 AM

Preaty sure it is

proditor

Ah, the discussion of scale vs. the mm system.  This one goes around a lot in the mini circles, as folks like to pre-empt vehicles for kit bashes or what have you, and it's cheaper and easier to work with plastic.  My limited exposure over the years has created the following rough hypothesis.

Most 28mm modern figures have hands, feet, heads, and usually torsos that are roughly in scale with 1/48th scale.

But...

The arms and legs are hideously out of proportion, and much closer to 1/60 or more.  

Games Workshop created the style, by popularizing the heroic 28mm scale, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon when it sold like hot cakes.

In the end, you use what looks good to the eye.  For my supers game, I use 1/48th tanks and vehicles, because the superhero minis are mostly in heroic 28, all the way to heroic 33mm!  They look good next to 1/48th scale vehicles.

But...on the gaming table at least, 1/48th helicopters and planes look monstrously huge.

YMMV

EDIT: But on the MAIN topic, Copplestone's stuff is awesome!  I've been looking for almost any excuse to snag his "Kiss, kiss, bang, bang" line of 60's spies for a while now.  ;)

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=KKB

Weaver

Yep, had this when I was looking for Victorian civilians a while back. The modelling/railways ones are in accurate proportion, but a lot of the wargaming ones are more like cartoons with oversize heads, hands, feet etc..

- Indiana Jones

nev

I love that control room.  Very evil genius :wacko:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Thanks for the clarification on scale/figures etc.
I must admit my Games Workshop Zombies are fine with 1/48th stuff.

Best thing is trial and error I suppose.
I'll investigate...... :party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

philp

They list their tanks at 1/55th scale so should be compatible with 48th.

I think that 20mm figures are closer to 72nd scale than 25mm but it depends on the Manufacturer.  Best way is to get a few and check them with kits or other figures.

I think this set from Copplestone has instant vignette written all over it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Jeffry Fontaine

The equipment and props stuff looks really good.  Just wonder how close it is to 1/72nd or 1/48th scale. 

This Snocat model is quite unique.   Would be ideal for a diorama that included some other winter or snow type equipment

(image source: Copplestone Castings
A 1950s tracked vehicle designed for polar conditions - as used in the 1955-8 Trans-Antarctic expedition. A 17-part lightweight-resin and metal kit.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

Wouldn't swear to it, but I think the range of WWI/1920s armour has increased since I last looked. Check out all the armoured cars etc... on the bottom of these two pages:

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=HA

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=BOB

All 1/55th, of course.

On the scale issue, wargames 20mm scale is allegedly equivalent to 1/72nd.

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Lots of great stuff in there....the Inuit guys would be good for some of the Canadian Ranger ideas I have....and I've always wanted that snowcat. Just too cool, that.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?