Trackrover - FINISHED!

Started by Weaver, January 04, 2010, 10:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

More a declaration of intent than the formal start of a project, some or all of my LIS builds may not get built, but they're all deliberately simple and small so the prospects are good.

These two are 1/76th JB/Airfix Landrovers converted to fully tracked using the lower hulls of Airfix Scopions (which are almost precisely the right size ), and will probably be in British Antarctic Survey colours. One is based on a standard Landie, the other on a Forward Control. I originally saw the FC as the main one, but I now realise that it's more awkward, since it's doors have cut-outs to fit the wheel arches, and modifying them is not straightforward, since the whole cab box is made of brittle clear plastic. This doesn't apply to the long-bonnet one of course, since it's doors are behind the wheels.  
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

philp

Like this idea.  I had contemplated doing a LR half track using a Universal Carrier for the back end.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Have you seen this from Copplestone Castings?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

beowulf

had a feeling i had some pics of something similar but all i could find was a conversion and the Centaur

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Weaver

Quote from: philp on January 04, 2010, 07:52:40 PM
Have you seen this from Copplestone Castings?

Wow, that's pretty: thanks.  :thumbsup:

That stuck-in-the-crevasse pic is the classic one that made me think of orange and BAS markings (yes I know it's not BAS). I first saw that pic when I was about 8, in an Action Man ideas book for their polar explorer outfits/gear. It had all sorts of projects for a shoe-box snowcat, cardboard arctic hut etc.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

RotorheadTX

kitnut617

The local Polaris store has this on the showroom floor:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Nick

If you go to the Motor Heritage Centre near Warwick you can view the tracked 'Cuthbertsons Land Rover' up close along with many other types.
I first saw it at the Army Transport Museum at Beverley before that closed.

Wasn't there a tracked BMW pic floating the net some time ago?

Mossie

I remember you mentioning this before Weave, sounds good to me! :thumbsup:  If you wanted to do the full Centaur, B.W. Models do some white metal Landie 110's, a little pricey mind you.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

Maybe this will be useful? I took these photos at Bovington.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

What scale is that Sno-Cat model please? And how DID they get out of that one?

I have the book about the Trans-Antarctic Expedition somewhere, but of course I can't find it just now. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

It's 28mm wargaming scale.  What that really equates to is anyones guess!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

The IH-Case Quadtrac is available in 1/64th (Matchbox/Hot Wheels scale):
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Curve-Brands-Quadtrac-Tractor/dp/B001VNC6UM

Its also made in 1/32nd scale.

philp

Quote from: Mossie on January 06, 2010, 03:07:16 PM
It's 28mm wargaming scale.  What that really equates to is anyones guess!

The tanks on the site are listed as 1/55th scale but probably close enough to either 48th or 72nd scales to use.
scroll down to the Snowcat.
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=HA
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Ahhh, brilliant: check out the pilots under High Adventure  :wub:. I saw these ages ago and then couldn't remember where I'd seen them.

Also check out the scenery under Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (James Bondish stuff).

Lastly under Copplestone Collection, there's a set of Evil Snowmen: ideal for this GB!  ;D

- Indiana Jones '