Focke Wulf Fw189

Started by pyro-manic, January 02, 2010, 04:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

I couldn't find a thread for this aircraft, so here we go.

What can you come up with for the Fw189? Re-engined, armed and armoured for ground attack? A floatplane version? High altitude photo-recon?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

frank2056

The FW 189C (or V6) was a heavily armored ground attack version. The cockpit/fuselage was much smaller and heavily armored. It looked more like the cockpit of the HS 129, and the rear gunner area was also armored.

Google image search for the FW 189C

Weaver

There was also the -B version, which was a trainer with a conventional fuselage pod. You could see one of these as a "light zerstorer", which sounds silly, but which was studied before the war (Gotha put some proposals forward). it might also make a better light night-fighter than the real -189-based one.

Image search for Fw-189 B: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=FW+189b&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g-m1&start=0

For a wild idea, how about a compound helicopter in the style of the Fairey Gyrodyne? Engine and rotor system in the fuselage pod, clipped wings outboard of the booms and anti-torque provided by differential prop pitch.

The Fw-189D A-4 was a light attack variant with 20mm cannons in the wing roots and belly armour.

The Fw-189D was a proposed floatplane trainer that wasn't built.

The Fw-189 F-1 was a proposed version with Gnome-Rhone 14M radials, which was never built.

Fw-189s were built at Bordeaux-Merignac in France which is now the Dasault factory, so perhaps you could imagine a French post-war version (as was done with the Storch) with Gnome-Rhones operating over Algeria and carrying a brace of AS-11 or AS-12 ASMs. Alternately, it could be a post-war engine testbed, with a high tailplane and a Turbomeca something-or-other in the back of the pod.

They were also built at Aero-Vodochody's works in Prague, so you could imagine a post-war Czech version too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

bluedonkey99

Adding new engines and repurposing has to be a winner!

Option E1)  reengine the weedy exisiting engines with something more meaty (althouh you aprehensively may feel they would just snap off!?)
    Option E2) remove existing engines and a) fair off, b) add guns!  then convert rear gunner position to i) Prop driven or ii) Jet Driven

Changing centre fuselage
     Option F1) see above  regarding new engines
     Option F1b)     chaning a a FW189a to a B or C (is that really whiffey?) - It would be could especially the armoured version (so maybe do it with beefier engines)
     Option F2) Give it a more rounde He111 stye ront end
     Option F4) give it  some  P-38 or P-61 treatment   (you might wish to "rescale" is choosine some of these options?)
     Option F5) more restylying ofr Anti Tank use and big up gunning?

Weapons?
       Options W1)  one or more Ruhrstal Fritz X (X-1)  or Kramer X-4
       Option W2)    dumb rockets aka Typhoon/Tempest
       Option W3)  75mm or such kannoe for Anti-tank role    (maybe underslung centre fuselage, or revised nose?)    

obviously much mix and matching could go on?

one final one?
       Radar / Awacs Platform?

BD99

Weaver

Quote from: bluedonkey99 on January 03, 2010, 05:51:07 AM
     Option F4) give it  some  P-38 or P-61 treatment   (you might wish to "rescale" is choosine some of these options?)

There's a thought: scaleorama a 1/72nd Fw-189 into a 1/144th or 1/100th P-38-style fighter, or take a 1/48th one down to 1/72nd (I think there is a 1/48th Fw-189 isn't there?)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Arc3371

Change the engines to BMW-801´s on the Su-12 pictured on the Wunderwaffe site and have a Super Uhu?

jcf

Aside from the Gnome powered aircraft there was also the proposed Fw 189G with two 905hp Argus As 402, the engine
never entered production so the project was canceled.

For those considering the G-R conversion of the Fw 189, HS 129A and Hs 129B wing/engine installation drawings that may be useful as reference:
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/151/Draw/17.jpg

http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/151/Draw/25.jpg

An easy way to 'up-power' an Fw 189 model would be to add three-bladed props and a turbo-supercharger 'bulge'. ;)

Jon

Weaver

Turn the pod into an aerosled, with the engines in a push/pull arrangement above it on struts......... :wacko: ;D

- Indiana Jones

famvburg

We can't dismiss the Soviet Sukhoi Su-12, an Fw 189 on steroids, can we? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-12

Arc3371

The Su-12 I recently posted

dy031101

Is there a projected speed for Fw 189D?

Okay, I admit my next question is "would it need an engine swap if I want to start hanging a torpedo under it and then catapult it off pocket battleships?"
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on January 06, 2010, 12:22:36 PM
Is there a projected speed for Fw 189D?

Okay, I admit my next question is "would it need an engine swap if I want to start hanging a torpedo under it and then catapult it off pocket battleships?"

1)Slow.

2)Yes.

;D

GTX

What about a simple Battleship observation version?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on January 08, 2010, 01:17:48 PM
What about a simple Battleship observation version?

Regards,

Greg

Probably too big for the actual DKM ships with their amidships catapults, you'd likely need to go to a fantail mounted
catapult arrangement