1/12th TSR-2

Started by Capt. Midnight/pdf3@comca, December 31, 2009, 09:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Midnight/pdf3@comca

Hi there!

Here's my 1/12th TSR-2:
[img]504 × 396]/IMG_1121-1 copy.jpg

If anyone can tell me how to post an image, let me know and I'll append an image.

Happy new year,

Capt. midnight

PR19_Kit

TWELTH scale?????

That'd be 7.5 feet long then?  :o :rolleyes:

You can post pics by scrolling down to 'Additional Options' below the window where you type the message, click on the 'Additional...' text and another sub-window opens. In there you'll find an area to browse to files on your PC, and you can upload away.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Whoa!!!!  Can't wait to see this.  Talk about making an entrance.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hi TSR-2ers!

OK, I give up!  The only items I see when I open the 'Additional Options' are 'notify me'; 'return to this topic'; 'don't use smileys'; and 'lock this topic.'  This is probably because I' a Mac user.  If any one want to see a snap of my 1/12th TSR 2, drop me an email and I'll send it along.

Cheers,

David Plummer

Bellevue, WA
USA

pdf3@comcast.net

Jeffry Fontaine

David,

See attached screen shot.

If all else fails, then eMail the image to me and I will upload it to your post.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Alternatively you can use a image strorage site such as Photobucket and then post images using the "Insert Image" button (second button from the left on second row of buttons when you write a new message).

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Rat

Quote from: GTX on January 01, 2010, 02:17:11 PM
Alternatively you can use a image strorage site such as Photobucket and then post images using the "Insert Image" button (second button from the left on second row of buttons when you write a new message).

Regards,

Greg

Best way!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Keep in mind the pixel count too, has to be around 200 IIRC
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Quote from: Capt. Midnight/pdf3@comca on January 01, 2010, 01:43:34 PM
Hi TSR-2ers!

OK, I give up!  The only items I see when I open the 'Additional Options' are 'notify me'; 'return to this topic'; 'don't use smileys'; and 'lock this topic.'  This is probably because I' a Mac user. 

Nah, it works fine on my Mac with Firefox.

Kitnut: the pixel count is not an issue. File size is limited to 256 kb, which means you can easily include images at 1000x750 pixels.

FAR148

Here's David's awesome 1/12 scale TSR.2  :wub:

TSR 2 Model Description

Builder:  David F. Plummer

Main Characteristics   As of:  9 July 2009

Scale:Approx. 1/12th
Wingspan:44 in (enlarged to provide added wing area)
Wing area:7 ft-sq (wing = 6 ft-sq; elevons = 1.2 ft sq)
Wing airfoil:NACA 64010; 6.3% thick; LE sweepback – 40 °
Fuselage length:~ 87 inches
Elevons: NACA 64010; 6% thick; half-span – 10.4 inches
Vertical fin: NACA 64010; 6.8% thick; height --15 inches
Propulsion: 2 x 90mm WeMoTec Midi fans; 2 x Mega Acn22/30/3motors (currently evaluating alternates)
Batteries: 9 x 2300mAh A123 batteries for each motor/fan
Motor controls:Castle Creations Phoenix HV-85 for each motor/fan
Servos: 13
Landing gear:Main-Lado electric retracts; 4-wheel trucks by builder; nose - Robart retract with Lado electric linear actuator; gear/gear-door sequences and speed are controlled by a Type 1 S.M. Services retract sequencer and a EMS/Jomar "Go-Slo" module.
AUW: ~ 17.5 lbs
Power input at max throttle: ~ 1500W
Static thrust at max throttle: ~ 7 lbs (with 22/30/2 motors and 8 cells/motor)
Plans: derived from several sources; a PDF file is available via the net, but is not sufficiently accurate to be used, but is useful as a starting point.

Model features:

1.Construction: balsa stick and sheet; no foam
2.Wing flaps actuated by Rotary Drive System
3.Elevons are used; no ailerons; a Graupner mixer is used to combine aileron and elevator functions for roll/bank; elevator-type control is also used
4.Rudder:no rudder; vertical fin rotates
5.Gear doors are actuated by servos (except for small outer main-gear doors that are open when main gear is down; these retract by small'bungee' cords, opened by torsion links).
6.Trailing-edge flaps on the elevons are provided; controlled by Rotary Drive System
7."Finish":Polycover from Hobby Lobby

Current Status: model has been taxied and behaves OK; no flight attempts have been made as  there is no nearby hard-surface runway (nearest runway is the NAS Whidbey Island OLF (outlying landing field) on Whidbey Island; it is accessible through the Whidbey Island RC model club.  Hopefully a first- flight attempt will be made in spring, 2010.  

References:

1.Wilmer, Graham: "TSR 2:  Yesterday's Answer to Tomorrow's Problem."  Air Enthusiast/Fourteen, 1980, pp 13-28.  Pilot Press, Ltd., UK.

2.Butler, Tony:  "Strike Rivals." Air Enthusiast 59; Sep/Oct 1995; pp 12-23.  Key Publishing Co., UK.

3.Lucas, Paul:  "The Lost Tomorrows of an Eagle." Model Aircraft Monthly; Vol. 5,Issue 4, April, 2006.  SAM Publications; Media House; Bedford, UK.

4.Neal, Molly: " TSR.2."  Flight International; 9 April 1965. Reed Business Information Ltd., UK.

5.Kopp, Carlo:  "Profile – The BAC TSR.2."  web article, available at:http://www.ausairpower.net/Profile-BAC-TSR.2.html

6.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589940

Enjoy,
Steven L :ph34r:

The Rat

Beauty eh! Make sure you get video of that first flight!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Hobbes

:bow: Excellent. Does it fly well?

deathjester

That, sir, is frankly amazing - sales of knitting materials are sure to be on the increase!
  Now, if you could just scale that up a little..... A factor of, ooh, about 12 should suffice!!

kitnut617

I have to agree, that is totally amazing    :bow: :bow:

A question I want to ask, where did you get the 1/12 scale pilots ?  I've got a couple of 1/12 F-16 cockpit kits which I was planning on using in a 1/12 scale project and I need a couple of pilot figures.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hi Kitnut!

I looked all through my so-called TSR 2 'data file' and could not locate the 'invoice' I got with the 2 pilot-figure/seat assemblies.  My fading recollection is that they came from the UK, but can find no web site where such units might have come from.  They were quite rough, so had to do a lot of carving and sanding, etc., then the painting to cover up all the surfaces.  I'll keep searching and will post any info if I find something.

Regards,

Dave P.