Barrage Balloons Query

Started by Cobra, December 27, 2009, 10:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey guys, Just Curious to know if there Are Any Models of Barrage Balloons are Available????? was Playing 'Secret Weapons over Normandy', in a Tutorial Mission, i had to Shoot down Barrage Balloons & it made me Wonder if There are Any out there. i'm looking for 1/72,1/48, or Whatever Scale that they might be in. Can Anyone help??? thanks for Looking. Dan

PR19_Kit

Umpteen years ago Formaplane made a 1/72 vacform WWII barrage baloon, and in a moment of madness I bought one.

It was pretty huge, badly moulded (as in both halves were DIFFERENT diameters...) and very VERY brittle for some reason. After a short life it broke, but I can't say I was that sad.

As Formaplane are long gone I doubt there's much hope of finding one, but you never know.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

There are WWI Kite Balloons available in 1/144 scale from Skytrex. Set inc.s balloon, basket and winch lorry and a set of 2 mobile AA guns is available to go with it.

They also plan a 1/144 P-Type Zeppelin at £195 !

Both are currently on their "front page" http://www.skytrex.com/

They are having problems with compatability with MS Explorer V.8 at the moment so you will need to open somme other way until Jan

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

deathjester

How about making one?  If you can find a childs miniature rugby ball/ American football, and papier mâché over it so it's smooth, that would approximate a WW2 barrage balloon....happy hunting!!

thedarkmaster

I have the plans for one in 1/72 out of the Airfix RAF vehicles book, can e-mail if you want one, let me know.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Glencoe do a "US Navy Blimp" which is a K Class airship from the 30's.  It's 1/330 & should work out reasonably well for a 1/72 Barrage Ballon with a little bit of conversion work to the tail.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

philp

Quote from: thedarkmaster on December 28, 2009, 04:57:12 AM
I have the plans for one in 1/72 out of the Airfix RAF vehicles book, can e-mail if you want one, let me know.

I would like a copy please.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

TsrJoe

'matador models' did a WW2 british type barrage balloon and support vehicles in resin a few years ago, i think it might stil be avaliable too

cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

jcf