Promodellers Washes

Started by Mossie, December 27, 2009, 09:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I bought some of these recently, but I haven't used them yet.  I've read in magazines & online articles that they are a wonder product, but at least two members here have had problems with them.  I was wondering what others experiences with them were like?
Promodellers washes range

The washes don't come with any instructions & before I bought them I found some videos on their website by Philip Flory showing how they should be used.  There are a few potential pit falls & they're not quite as straight forward as some magazine & web articles have suggested.
Promodellers washes instructional videos

Simon :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Deon

i think the problem is that they need something to cling to when you wipe them away! also all the panel lines need to be even in depth otherwise you get partial outlines when you wipe the stuff away. I guess on a oob tamgawa kit you might get a result if you time it right, but if youve rescribed  or done any sanding, your rescribing needs to be perfect or it'll show. Im not going to use mine anymore until Ive got a test kit ready for experimenting..
'...please, tell me where to put it..?'

'do nothing except that which is necessary or beautiful' (Marcus Aurelius)..well I've got the 'do nothing' bit sorted...

ChrisF

I have the whole range and i can honestly say i love em.. You do need to experiment with some old kits to get a feel for the finish you need, but i really do swear by them... Quick tip experiment with Paint, Decals, Gloss varnish to seal them in (I use future/Klear/Pledge), Promodeller, then varnish again with your chosen finish.... That seems to work best for me :)

Ive just finshed weathering a Airfix seafire tonight if you want to see you may have to wait a couple of days :)

Mossie

Since I posted this I've also bought the range & used them on one build so far.  Like you Chris, I found I needed to experiment (ended up using more than half a pot!) but the overall result was good.  Looking forward to seeing that Seafire!

Like Deon, mentioned, I found any re-scribing had to be good, too shallow & the wash doesn't take, too deep & the line stands out too much.

Unlike Chris, I found a gloss finish would prevent the wash from adhering.  If you use a matt finish it can ingrain itself in (they explain this on the website) which can be useful for a grimy finish but it's difficult to remove again.  Also, the base colour starts to take on the hue of the wash so you can end up with quite a different colour.  You can counter this by mixing some of the washes together to produce a different shade, or being more careful in application.  They work well, you just need to test them before you put them on your show winner.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TsrJoe

ill admit having tried them i really dont like the promodeller clay based washes, a tad too grainy and as others have noted (and mentioned on their website) can stain unsealed finishes (i found this out the hard way)

another possibility are the washes produced in the Vallejo range, their smoke and transparent black are really good and iv used them for some comission builds, as well as seeing some really good results that some of my fellow branch members have achieved with same

a case of horses for courses i guess or what one is used to using to achieve a desired result,
good luck, cheers Joe 
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

ChrisF

Topside

Topside looking suitably grimy :)

Underside promodeller wash just applied

The result with a bit of buggering about :)

Please note this kit as per current Airfix does have decidedly deep panel detail... Not to everyones taste but i like it :)

Mossie

ChrisF

Glad you like it... It might be a while cos ive just ordered some lil goodies from hannants for it.. But i'll put a couple of pics up when its properly finished :)

(I got to putting the exhusts on and thought the kits ones looked rubbish... Next thing i knew i'd ordered nearly £15 quid of stuff  ;D)

Deon

That does look quite impressive and the wash doesnt seemed to have besmirched the finish too much :) Ive got around to using the promodeller Sand / Light Dust washes on my armour with a little thinning and little or no wiping off over a coat of Klear. Im more than happy with it for armour, but it might take a while before Im comfortable with it on my aircraft.
'...please, tell me where to put it..?'

'do nothing except that which is necessary or beautiful' (Marcus Aurelius)..well I've got the 'do nothing' bit sorted...

ChrisF

I did practice on a couple of old kits i built when i was little (therefore didnt care about) before they went on the real thing and yeah i was happier with how they acted after a gloss finish.. Putting them on after a matt finish seemed very difficult to get off... I went with:

Main painting-  Future/pledge-  decals-  future/pledge-  promodeller-  Matt varnish...

That seemed to work well for me, but yeah i suggest everyone has a good play with them :D