Wing tip tanks

Started by tanktastic43, December 13, 2009, 11:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanktastic43

Can anyone please tell me when wing tip tanks came into use?

Were they used by anyone during WW2, or were they purely post war?

Thanks in advance.

tt43.

B777LR

Oldest aircraft that comes to my mind is the P-80. Last aircraft i think would be the Learjet or Starfighter. The P-80 is sorta a WWII fighter though, some saw service in Italy.

elmayerle

Well, even though they weren't cleared for it, the F-5E/F and F-20A were capable of carrying the same wingtip tanks as the F-5A/B.  The F-20 used those plus two underwing drop tanks and a large under-fuselage drop tank for a long-range demonstration flight.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

tigercat2

To me, the coolest-looking wing tip tanks were the 'underslung' ones, like on the B-57 and F-80.

Wes W.

kitnut617

earliest I can think of is the already mentioned P/F-80 and then there's the P/F-84.  I remember reading somewhere these tip tanks actually improved the performance.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

I'm sure I've seen photos of P-51s and P-61s with tip tanks - not sure what year though or if they were trials.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Quote from: GTX on December 18, 2009, 11:42:10 AM
I'm sure I've seen photos of P-51s and P-61s with tip tanks - not sure what year though or if they were trials.

Regards,

Greg

http://www.swissmustangs.ch/mediac/400_0/media/44-73454~N2051D~Cavalier~1970_a.jpg

Cavalier mustangs. Some kind of fast 1 seat corporate aircraft, converted from the P-51.