RAF paint Scheme Query

Started by Cobra, December 09, 2009, 10:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Can anyone tell me or point me to site where i can find RAF WW2 paint Schemes???? thinking about what would look good on a Spitfire or Hurricane. Can i get some help from You Guys?????? the Reason i ask is i was playing 'Secret Weapons over Normandy' on PS2 and would like to make sure i get the Right paints for doing a Spit or Hurricane. thanks for Looking.Dan

Maverick

Dan,

Don Colour http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/main_e.htm is one of the most comprehensive sites regarding camoflague that you could find.

Regards,

Mav

Mossie

Wings Palette is also good for general schemes.  There's a very large collection of colour profiles & there are dozens for the Spitfire & Hurricane.  Just about the only general scheme that these aircraft didn't wear in RAF service is the Coastal Command search scheme of camouflage over white, so whiffing them colour scheme wise is not easy.  There's quite some potential with different theatres, squadrons & other nationalities though.
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Librarian

Sorry, not a whiff question but I need some info concerning Spitfires. When the aircraft was completed at the factory was it painted in the standard colour scheme with a sky spinner, sky band round the fuselage, serial number and roundels? Were the codes added on arrival at squadron? Red spinners etc resprayed.

If earmarked for foreign service were they painted in that theatre's colours or were those resprayed on arrival? Any help gratefully received.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on July 19, 2014, 07:17:48 AM
Sorry, not a whiff question but I need some info concerning Spitfires. When the aircraft was completed at the factory was it painted in the standard colour scheme with a sky spinner, sky band round the fuselage, serial number and roundels? Were the codes added on arrival at squadron? Red spinners etc resprayed.

In a word, yes...........  ;D

Either on the squadron or at an MU before being issued to the Squadrons.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Photos in various books I have show that the various sub assemblies were painted with camo schemes before final assembly. Roundels and serial numbers and the sky band were all painted on too at that time.  Sqn. codes would have been added as Kit says.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 19, 2014, 04:14:32 PM
Sqn. codes would have been added as Kit says.

Second that from my literature knowledge - some squadrons had also very unique code stiles (typo, placement), and AFAIK the aircraft were also completely re-painted by field maintenance units, so the factory finish would not last very long, esp. when the aircraft was sent into a different operation theatre than originally intended.

Librarian

Thanks all. Photos did seem to confirm but I wanted to be sure. So utterly sick of trying to match paints to codes and sizes etc I think I'm going to complete a series of Spitfires before delivery. Should look nice and uniform.