Experiments with Tamiya acrylics on Reaper miniatures

Started by puddingwrestler, December 08, 2009, 11:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Last night I realised I'd either lost or used up all the pastels I needed to weather me Navalize it GB entry... so I decided to dig out a reaper miniature I'd had for quite some time... about six years I think.
Reaper minis are molded to thier bases. While I like the texture etc. on the bases, I need something more to grip, so I decided to fit a citadel 40mm round base. Of course, I didn't want to lose the cobblestone texture on the existing base, so I added a disc of 1mm plsticard to the top of the citadel base, cut out a hole, and slotted it in.
Since this was not a piece for use in any of my armies, I figured I'd have fun with an unusual skin tone. I was going to do dark blue, then I realised I had a whole lot of pots of interestingly coloured Tamiya acrylic around... so I used tamiya mid blue for the skin, drybrushed citadel codex grey. And while I was at it, most of the other colours are tamiya, washed and drybrushed with citadel (apart from the really bright ones; the red, turqouise and greens)
Having painted wargames minis for so long, I've become used to bright paint jobs, but the muted tones created by using Tamiya are really very pleasing. I've decided to conduct further experiments, including a sort of albino goblin look using Sky drybrushed white, or pale blue drybrushed white...

There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Maverick

Brilliant work PW,

Looks the part in every way.

Regards,

Mav

chrisonord

Where is the spats?? :lol:
Seriously though, I admire your patience on these things, as they demand a hell of a lot more patience and work than and aircraft.
Be it spatted or not ;D
Cheers,
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

Nice one PW!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 08, 2009, 11:03:05 PM
Having painted wargames minis for so long, I've become used to bright paint jobs, but the muted tones created by using Tamiya are really very pleasing.

I remember Games Workshop introducing their acrylics, and everything seemed to go neon overnight. I hated it: all my figures were subbornly painted with Humbrol enamel.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

You've got some impressive painting skill, PW! Those figures are blue-ribbon quality in my book!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

puddingwrestler

Quote from: chrisonord on December 09, 2009, 03:38:28 AM
Where is the spats?? :lol:
Seriously though, I admire your patience on these things, as they demand a hell of a lot more patience and work than and aircraft.
Be it spatted or not ;D
Cheers,
Chris

Whaddaya mean? This was done in a couple of hours including dry time. A plane has to be assembled first, putty, sand, repeat...
I have a very fast and very messy painting style which requires no patience of finesse.

noxioux

Cool.  I've never had any luck drybrushing the tamiya acrylics.  I usually have to put them on thick and fast, or they gum up.

You should try throwing an oil wash over that guy when you're done.  He's looking pretty good.

puddingwrestler

Quote from: noxioux on December 13, 2009, 05:10:47 PM
Cool.  I've never had any luck drybrushing the tamiya acrylics.  I usually have to put them on thick and fast, or they gum up.

You should try throwing an oil wash over that guy when you're done.  He's looking pretty good.
I don't DB with the tamiya, I DB with citadel over tamiya base coats. Tamiya just dies not DB.