PWs Pernicious Project

Started by puddingwrestler, December 02, 2009, 03:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

I have decided to join in the navalize it GB after all.
I was thinking about the Tausenfussler project upon which I am working (and for which I am awaiting the arrival of parts) and I thought to myself 'it is a long time since you have finished a model aeroplane. You should do so.' SO I went and rummaged in the stash, and pulled out four boxes; HobbyBoss Me 262, He 162 and MiG-3, and revell GO 229. And I looked upon them. And I thought 'How shalt they be built?' and I thought 'Stock with interesting paint'. And then I fell to looking at the Me 262... and then I thought 'screw it, I'm building this sucker for carrier operations.'
SO I will be.
The HobbyBoss kit (being one of the easy type) has solid wings, which should help here. It's got a pretty high parts count however (for a HB easy kit that is), due to the engine pods and a few other doo-dads. Should be fairly quick anyway.
And I intend to paint it in a shades of blue camo scheme with the normal German markings.
I did think about a navalized HE 162 - I mean, the wings could fold right next to the fuselage and all, but I think I'll keep that for another day. Same with the other kits mentioned. Especially since I bought the MiG-3 as the basis of a model of the Scarlett Arrow, the air craft of the Scarlett Sloth. Just don't ask how I intended to get it right, I have no idea, I just think they lines are about the right shape.
Anyways, I'll make a start tomorrow, just wanted to mention my evil plans here first. Cause that way I can't chicken out. :thumbsup:
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

Nice idea - looking forward to seeing it (bit more pressure there.... :wacko:)

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 02, 2009, 03:37:19 AM
I did think about a navalized HE 162 - I mean, the wings could fold right next to the fuselage and all, but I think I'll keep that for another day.

You could do it with twist-and-fold wings and have them braced to the outside of the fins.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

I assembled the jet nacelles this morning and worked out roughly where the wings should fold.
The hobby boss kit comes with two options to mount to the nose hard points; drop tanks, or a pair of tubey things. I assume those are some sort of RATO device, so I'll be fitting those.
I'm pretty sure I have a spare arrester hook assembly or two around, I'll be fitting that as well.

Did the Kreigsmarine have any special markings for planes. I know the US Navy tends to have 'NAVY' written on thier planes somewhere, did the Kreigsmarine do anything like that, or would standard Luftwaffe markings work okay?
Er... possibly I'm getting a bit JMN there, but whatever.

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

philp

There is always the German Navy schemes Mav came up with.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 02, 2009, 01:28:55 PM

Did the Kreigsmarine have any special markings for planes. I know the US Navy tends to have 'NAVY' written on thier planes somewhere, did the Kreigsmarine do anything like that, or would standard Luftwaffe markings work okay?

All Kriegsmarine aircraft were actually Luftwaffe controlled and operated.

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=37

Weaver

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 02, 2009, 01:28:55 PM
I assembled the jet nacelles this morning and worked out roughly where the wings should fold.
The hobby boss kit comes with two options to mount to the nose hard points; drop tanks, or a pair of tubey things. I assume those are some sort of RATO device, so I'll be fitting those.
I'm pretty sure I have a spare arrester hook assembly or two around, I'll be fitting that as well.

I'm thinking those tubes might be 21cm air-to-air rockets, as more often seen under Bf-109s and FW-190s.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

You could be right, there do seem to be conical things in there...

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

No matter: 3" and 5" RPs were valuable anti-ship weapons, so imagine what one of these 8"+ weapons would do..... :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Got the cockpit installed, fuselage glued together and wings cut up. I'll need to fabricate some details for the exposed wing interior bits and hinges.

nev

High Approach speed?  Check!
Slow to respond engines?  Check!

A navalised 262 makes the Seafire look like the ideal plane for carrier ops ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

puddingwrestler

Got the fuselage puttied (not sanded or repeated) and the engine nacelles installed, also assembled the landing gear this morning before work.
I'll probably post pics tonight as I am finally at the stage where it looks different from a normal 262 and there are things to show.

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on December 03, 2009, 02:18:16 AM
No matter: 3" and 5" RPs were valuable anti-ship weapons, so imagine what one of these 8"+ weapons would do..... :wacko:

Depends on the target, as it was a thin-shelled blast weapon rather than armour-piercing.

Jon

puddingwrestler

As promised, here's a pic of the work to date. I've glued the wingy-hingey doodads on, and I'm leaving them to get good and dry before I glue the outer wings onto them.
I've also managed to forget to weight the nose. Again. This is why I so rarely build planes with nose wheels.
I'm stuffing the drop tanks full of lead weights to compensate, but I really wish model companies would indicate the need to weight the nose on the instruction sheets...