Nato goes to the Crusades......

Started by Bungle, November 17, 2009, 05:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

I'm not sure how it happens but every now and then your collection seems to gather rather a lot of the same aircraft. Are they all bargains you can't refuse or some sub conscious 'buy me' plan set up by the HaseTamiItaliRevFix Corporation ? Anyway in a recent stock count I found an over abundance of Harriers, MiG 21s and F-8 Crusaders. Now I'm not a great lover of the Crusader but with five Hasegawa, Italeri, Esci (2) and Revell kits I thought.... What if ...?

So What If the F-8 Crusader became NATO's chosen aircraft of the sixties.... Nothing special about the kits themselves straight out of the box creations but whiffie colour schemes.  I'll post individual pictures later when I have the time but for now.... What If Crusaders in service with the Italian Navy, Norwegian Air force, Germany's Marineflieger, The Fleet Air Arm and Danish Airforce.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

sandiego89

Very nice- especially like the German version- anything looks good in those colors.  Thanks for posting.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Mossie

Very nice crusaders Bungle, good work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Bungle on November 17, 2009, 05:16:50 AM<...> Now I'm not a great lover of the Crusader <...>

BURN THE HERETIC! Only your fantastic job on those Crusaders and the promise of more pics has saved you from the funeral pyre.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

philp

Good choices but you should get a couple more and make an Aussie and a Canadian version.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

Hard to pick a favourite out of that collection.

IIRC Radish once built a danish F-8 using the Monogram 1/48 kit.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Bungle

Getting a few comments... I thank you all.

So here's a few individual ones.....

Crusader the One is the Marineflieger.... This the old Revell kit in 1/67th scale complete with a seven foot pilot who must be sitting on a cushion as you'd never get the cockpit closed ! Decals are from the Heller F-86 Sabre and spares box.

First picture is with flash the other without

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Bungle

The second offering is for the Royal Norwegian Airforce. Got the idea of the Tiger meet plummage (sorry not Norwegian Blue) from the last image.

Kit is the Esci F-8H, decals from the spares box.... the black 'blob' on the tail is my thumb print

Bungle

Crusader number Three

The Royal Danish airforce... or in this case the Italeri F-8 Crusader (no variant given but strangely all the sprues identical to the Esci F-8H)

Again the decals from the spares box and the inspiration was the F-100 Super Sabre.

Bungle

Go forth said the wife.... so this is the fourth Crusader and another Esci. This time it's the F-8E(FN) and yes it's the same as the F-8H and the Italeri.... nothing more nothing less on the sprues just different decals.

Decals from an old Revell Tornado kit.

Only did two photos of this one due to brain failure and the inability to count.

Bungle

Normally I'd say and finally.... but guess what I've found another Crusader - a two seater conversion in resin plus a Hasegawa donor. Its by a Mexican cottage industry producer Aescala (an F-8U-1T). So could still produce an Australian or Canadian machine (though What if Australia being in NATO is pushing it even for me !).

So the last for now is the Hasegawa F-8E Crusader part of an exchange with Chrisonord minus a canopy. So those who may have noticed, the front canopy does look a bit strange.

Decals are the French made Hawker Sea Hawk decals by ABT Modeles.

Sauragnmon

Some very nice crusaders, Bungle - very top notch birds in general.  The two-seater Canuckistanian bird might look quite interesting indeed, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.  The German one is very sharp, as are the FAA and Norwegian ones.  I'll admit, I'm no Crusader fan in general myself per se, but I don't mind them in general.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sideshowbob9

Love the Norwegian and RN ones in particular!  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Well I am a Crusader fan, so I've got to say, those are an excellent collection of machines Bungle - well done!  :thumbsup: :wub:

I think the Crusader is one of the great underrated fighters of the late '50s. It almost never gets mentioned in the same breath as the Mirage/Mig-21/Starfighter/Lightning, probably because it lacked the (largely theoretical) Mach 2 capability of those aircraft, yet it was a perfectly good fighter with more practical capability than many of the others on that list. Sure it had it's problems (no rear view, crappy gun instalation), but what didn't? All that could have been fixed.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '