Something else nearly as wrong. Beriev Be-6 Upgrade.

Started by chrisonord, November 16, 2009, 03:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Following on the floaty flying museum piece theme, here is another aircraft operated by the Nicaraguan cartel. The Beriev has been modified to serve as a capable anti shipping and patrol platform, and has been upgraded in many areas. The original piston engines have been replaced with turbo prop engines, the same Ivchenko AI-20D, 4,000 shp engines as fitted to the Beriev BE-12 Tchalka. These engines gave the aircraft a whole new leaseof life and gave it the ability to carry more offensive armament and avionics. Another major modification was to the cockpit, which was changed to a "sealed" 2 seat pod, that could only be accessed from the canopy, which is now a quick release item. Due to this modification, access ladders were fitted either side, one of which has to curve round the newly fitted twin 23 mm cannon blister. The tail guns of the original design have been retained, as they are thought to be of use against shipping/ground targets. Even though the aircraft had been modified extensively, it was still only able to operate as a normal flying boat and not as an amphibian, but this modification may be considered for a future upgrade.

Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Daryl J.

Oh now this is good!

:cheers: (Knob Creek 9 year old bourbon)
Daryl J.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Ed S

Brilliant.  And a wonderful camo scheme.

well done.   :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

pyro-manic

Great stuff! Flying boats are a favourite of mine, and this one is excellent. :thumbsup:

What kit did you use for this?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

chrisonord

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 17, 2009, 01:10:08 AM
Great stuff! Flying boats are a favourite of mine, and this one is excellent. :thumbsup:

What kit did you use for this?
Hya Alun,
The kit is the old Veb one,a bit crude but a nice enough kit once built. It was reboxed as a NewBee kit, and I think it was from the 80's, I have been looking for another one to do as an amphibian, but, they seem a bit thin on the ground.
Cheers,
Chris.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Bungle

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Sauragnmon

Do love that camo, man, quite a nice blend there.  The refits look good too, and the weapons stack is real nice.  The props came out quite nicely too.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

kitnut617

Can't disagree with everyone else here Chris --- great stuff  :thumbsup:

What scale is it and where did you get the props from ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 17, 2009, 01:40:26 PM
Can't disagree with everyone else here Chris --- great stuff  :thumbsup:

What scale is it and where did you get the props from ?
[/quote
Hya Robert,
The scale is 1/72nd scale, and although it needed a fair bit of work to get it to look right, it is well worth grabbing one if you see one. The propellers are aeroclub 1/48 scale Griffon Spitfire ones,which to be honest wasn't too sure about when I bought them, as the blades looked too short, but they worked out to be just right in the end.
Cheers,
Chris.

Taiidantomcat

Just excellent! seamless conversion, great paint and a subject that is far too rare  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.