Mazarian Fighter R-1

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 13, 2004, 03:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Will be kitbashing a 1:48 Trumpeter Shengyang FT-6 Trainer into having a radome instead of the open intake of the MiG-19; will have to graft on vacformed fuselage side intakes; will delete old-fashioned fences on wings.

And, yet, I won't be switching it over to become a T-Tail (I've been a member of T-Tails Anonymous for 12 days, 17 hours, and 44 minutes---but who's counting, eh?).
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Geoff_B

Isn't this a two seat Fantan ?

Q-5

Should look good when finished, not fancy the FC-1 there doing at the moment ? based on the Mig-21 still ?

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

Captain Canada

Looking good, Bear !

And that's true, Thor...they do look quite similar !

Always liked that Fantan....reminds me of a Folland Gnat on Steroids !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Come to think of it, I believe the "Fantan" is the same basic aircraft but, who am I to argue with Trumpeter?  My guess is that the trainer is named differently than the combat version?

C'mon, Deino, where are you when we need you?

At any rate, here is what the "normal" Shenyang FT-6 Trainer is supposed to look like for the normals out there.

And, as for the FBC-1 fighter, have it in both scales now (had the old 1:48 AA Models kits and just yesterday bought the recent 1:72 release by AA's successor, Trumpeter) so I'll have to review SuperTom's thread on their group build!

John Howling Mouse

Oops, maybe I was wrong after all: here are some great images of the Fantan Q-5; very different from this Shenyang FT-6 derivative of the old MiG-19UT...

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/china/aircraft/q-5.htm

Geoff_B

FC-1

Hi Barry

This is the one i meant not the Flying Leopard !!!.

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteFC-1

Hi Barry

This is the one i meant not the Flying Leopard !!!.

Cheers

Geoff B B)
Oh, sorry.  Thought you just missed the "B" in FBC-1.
This is getting so confusing.  Like BMW model numbers...
Must contact China, ask them to simplify/diversify things for my personal benefit!

John Howling Mouse

Did a direct comparison b/w the Fantan Q-5 and my Shenyang hybrid, the Mazarian R-1; while there is a shared lineage, the final result will look very different.  Now, a person could build up a proper Fantan from a MiG-19, I suppose.
Again, hardest part will be the mating of compound curves for the fuselage profile to the new intakes...

Oh boy...Will just wait for Trumpeter to put a kit out...

matrixone

John,

Your Mazarian R-1 reminds me a little bit of the Messerschmitt P. 1110 project aircraft of WWII.
                                                                     Matrixone

John Howling Mouse

QuoteJohn,

Your Mazarian R-1 reminds me a little bit of the Messerschmitt P. 1110 project aircraft of WWII.
                                                                      Matrixone
Ahhhhh...ya...ya  (or is it "ja"?).

Here's a quick link so people can see one artist's conceptuals...

http://www.luft46.com/tpart/tpente.html

John Howling Mouse

And another perspective by Planet Models...

John Howling Mouse

matrixone

John,
Thanks for showing that artwork and drawing on the Me P1110. There were many versions of the P 1110, the one that reminds me of the Mazarian R-1 is the Me P 1110/155. A drawing of this is on page 59 in ''Jet Planes Of The Third Reich, The Secret Projects'', if you don't have this book, get one, it is very good.

Matrixone

John Howling Mouse

QuoteJohn,
Thanks for showing that artwork and drawing on the Me P1110. There were many versions of the P 1110, the one that reminds me of the Mazarian R-1 is the Me P 1110/155. A drawing of this is on page 59 in ''Jet Planes Of The Third Reich, The Secret Projects'', if you don't have this book, get one, it is very good.

Matrixone
Aw, nuts.  No, I don't have that book.  Sounds intriguing, though.
I don't have that many books related to the hobby.
Too many models to buy, I guess.