Shark Mouth Group Build Proposal

Started by Jeffry Fontaine, November 09, 2009, 09:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Wyrmshadow on November 06, 2009, 08:05:17 PMOkay a friend at work asked me this question about the P-40's and the shark mouth.

It had been my understanding that the AVG was the first to put the shark mouth on their aircraft to scare the japanese, who for some reason feared the toothy fish.
So he pointed me to a wikipedia article saying that the British Desert Air Force got the first export of P-40's in the summer of 1941, and one of their squadron had painted the shark mouth on their aircraft. So when some mechanic in the AVG saw a magazine picture of these P-40's, he copied the idea. Wiki says that the AVG wasn't deployed until 12 days after Pearl Harbor.. but I could have sworn they were in China by atleast 1940.

Is this true? Or is it revisionist wikieditors? I figured someone here would know.

Quote from: philp on November 06, 2009, 10:42:35 PMIt is true that the AVG did not start combat operations until after Pearl Harbor.
Here is an exert from the web that supports the British made them toothy first.  "but by early December 1941 the A.V.G., with ferocious looking shark's jaws painted on their P-40's (an idea copied from the RAF's No. 112 squadron), was ready for action."

Quote from: philp on November 06, 2009, 10:42:35 PMIt is true that the AVG did not start combat operations until after Pearl Harbor.
Here is an exert from the web that supports the British made them toothy first. "but by early December 1941 the A.V.G., with ferocious looking shark's jaws painted on their P-40's (an idea copied from the RAF's No. 112 squadron), was ready for action."

Quote from: B787 on November 07, 2009, 12:17:53 AMFunny, here is a photo of a very early Bf-109 with shark mouth.  Was that version of the Bf-109 still in service by 1941?  Some Bf-110s had them applied during the invasion of Denmark and Norway in 1940.

Edit: googling the subject a bit, it seems the shark mouth first appeared on SE.5s, Sopwith Dolphins and German Albatros fighters during WWI.

A model of the albatros
A CGI of the Bf-110 in 1941
This Fokker Dr.1 sorta has a shark mouth

Quote from: Weaver on November 07, 2009, 01:07:03 AMI have a book about mercenary pilots which has a section on the AVG, and it claims that the first of their sharkmouths was painted by a pilot called Eric Shilling, inspired by a newspaper photo of the Luftwaffe Bf.110s.
Quote from: Martin H on November 09, 2009, 11:43:40 AMIve read someware that the germans got there first as well
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2009, 03:15:40 PM
The RAF Middle East squadron that had sharkmouths was 112 Squadron.

They had teeth on their Tomahawk Is '..in 1941..' according to most references. They carried on using the teeth even postwar on their Vampires in RAF Germany, and there's a good Modeldecal sheet of one of them available.

Their last 'aircraft' was the Bloodhound missile but history doesn't relate if they carried teeth as well....... :)

So how about a group build where your entry has to have a shark mouth.  Eyes are optional.  This could be a boat, plane, missile, blimp, science fiction subject, etc.  Just so long as it is sporting a shark mouth.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Daryl J.

Mossie

I guess we've already got an inspiration thread!
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25862.0.html

Like this idea, not sure what I'd do for it though....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

For the first-ever IPMS(UK) Nationals that the Merseyside branch attended (waaaaayyy-back-when ), we chose 'Sharks Teeth' as our theme. Personally I've never stopped building them, Never done a ship or a Sci-Fi, but I've done a 'Real World' M47 and countless Phantoms' P-40's, F-86's, P-51's etc, etc over the intervening years. I'd love to be included in a What If 'Jaws' GB. Just tell me when and I'll be there !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

elmayerle

QuoteSo how about a group build where your entry has to have a shark mouth.  Eyes are optional.  This could be a boat, plane, missile, blimp, science fiction subject, etc.  Just so long as it is sporting a shark mouth.

Maybe it's just my twisted sense of humor, but I can just see someone doing a bionically-augmented and enhanced shark as a SF entry.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

lancer

Seeing as I also love the sharks mouth on anything. - I was going to get one of those top boxes for the car and paint a sharks mouth on that- consider me in for this little shinddig.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Would any kind of 'mouth' be elligible, such as tigers, hogs, snakes, dragons etc???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Mossie on November 11, 2009, 02:55:59 PMWould any kind of 'mouth' be elligible, such as tigers, hogs, snakes, dragons etc???

There ya go, asking all of the wrong questions. 

I see no reason to not include other types of mouths in which case the group build might have to be renamed to encompass all of the other styles and stereotype mouths, with and without teeth, lips, tongue, and eyes. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Mossie

Great stuff Jeff!  You could keep the Shark Mouth title, just write into the rules than any related styles were welcome.  I guess it could give folks with a bit of skill the chance to pull of something of their own.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 13, 2009, 02:02:37 AM
Quote from: Mossie on November 11, 2009, 02:55:59 PMWould any kind of 'mouth' be elligible, such as tigers, hogs, snakes, dragons etc???

There ya go, asking all of the wrong questions. 

I see no reason to not include other types of mouths in which case the group build might have to be renamed to encompass all of the other styles and stereotype mouths, with and without teeth, lips, tongue, and eyes. 
:wub: Feminine sexy lips too? :wub:
(strictly mouth :wacko: )
Will die without understanding this world.

frank2056

I made some shark (or generic toothy predator) mouth and eyes decal for my Iskra build.
The decals are in 4 color separations, plus white - ideal if you have an ALPS printer. I can combine them into a full color decal that can be printed on clear or white decal paper. If there's interest I'll post both versions (CMYK + white and full color).

Frank

Brian da Basher

This is a winner of a GB idea! Now I know what to do with all those shark's mouth decals I accumulated whiffing P-40s. If this GB gets off the ground, count me in!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

noxioux

Must do it!  I have a couple sets of teeth around here someplace. . .

PanzerWulff

Here's a Sci Fi classic that sported teeth the Babylon 5 Thunderbolt Starfury

It also had a Beak

"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!