Weighting the Nose

Started by lancer, March 13, 2004, 11:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

I've added a new weapon to my armoury of nose weights, AAA batteries!!. I found that the are small enough to fit in most noses or under cockpit floors and add a decent amount of weight. I recently used one in the nose of my TU128.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

Only problem I can see with that is in a few years time when they start to corrode and the acid attacks your kit from the inside.........
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

That's what I was gonna say, Nev !

The best thing ? Get yourself some buck shot from a hunting supply store......and you can pour it into any crack/ crevice ( or crevasse, in Matchbox' case ! ) with a little PVA to hold 'em in place !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Martin H

Then theres always Ripmax liquid lead.  Ok its not liquid but very fine lead pellets, its used as ballast by both the model railway world and R/C boats. held in place like toad said, with PVA
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mike Wren

I usually use nuts, bolts & screws held in place with Blu Tac, but it doesn't matter too much seeing as I attach everything to a base

Skorpio

Lead.  My dad's fishing weights mashed with a hammer, then cut into bits.  Place a whole load in the nose and fix in place with candle wax.  Does for me.

lancer

Yeah, I was using lead weightrs as well, but I ran out and there are no bloody tackle shops that I know of around here. I guess I'll have to get looking.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

F-32

I use my girlfriends gravy...............the problem is that in a few years when it starts to break down from a solid it'll have the same affect as battery acid.

The Rat

QuoteYeah, I was using lead weightrs as well, but I ran out and there are no bloody tackle shops that I know of around here. I guess I'll have to get looking.
NO TACKLE SHOPS?!?!?! My god man, I've heard a lot of frightening things in my time, but that has got me palpitating. Prozac,... where's the Prozac...?

Okay, if anyone in that primitive area has a new-fangled device called an A-U-T-O-M-O-B-I-L-E, see if you can go to a place where they fix/replace tires (Rubber toroids filled with air. Much nicer than those wooden cart wheels) and ask if you can scrounge some balance weights. The lead in these can be melted in an old saucepan and poured from a height into a bucket of water to create shot, or into molds for different sizes and shapes.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

F-32

Alternatively, steal them from your neighbours car in the middle of the night. :D  

lancer

Rat, calm down mate. I've found a couple of tackle shops, I just gotta wait until my money comes through and I'll go pick up some more lead shot.
I can't get buck shot or anything like that here, as the stupid gun laws over here sod anything like that up.

But then I'm not really a fisherman....

Leigh

Steal the balance weights, melt them in a saucepan and use it as gravy !!!!!

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Captain Canada

QuoteAlternatively, steal them from your neighbours car in the middle of the night. :D
..and while you're at it, might as well siphon out the petrol and rummage around the seats/ floor for loose change !

:ar:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

QuoteSteal the balance weights, melt them in a saucepan and use it as gravy !!!!!
Now why didn't I think of that!  :wacko:  :wacko:

:lol:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Skorpio

Don't need to melt them (actually, molten lead - and the tyre weights aren't quite lead - stinks so it's best not to do it in the house.  My dad used to make his sinkers in the kitchen and the house stank for weeks!), just mash the buggers with a hammer.  Lead flattens quite easily and it's quite good for working off anger too!  Then cut them into little bits.  Easy!  Best ones are the flat ones, the ones with the clip are a pain.