High speed recon bomber

Started by frank2056, November 08, 2009, 07:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I have the very nice Minicraft 1/144 B-26B (ex-Crown, IIRC)...

but I wanted to make it into an early jet bomber. After playing with two Pratt & Whitney JT3 engines from a 1/144 707 (which just show how small the B-26 was), I found the wings from an old Huma Junkers EF-128. I mated those with parts from a 1/200 Dragon B-52 kit (including the funky landing gear) and this is what I have so far (held together with blu-tack):

I don't know if I'll keep the smaller jet engines on the tail or use the much larger JT3 engines (they can be seen in the background of the third photo). With the JT3s under the wing, they're very close to the ground. I may put them on top of the wings or in the wing roots.

Changes to the original kit include removing the wing mounts for the original kit wings, the four cheek .50 cal guns, the vertical tail and I added the main landing gear (made from two doors and bays from the 1/200 B-52 kit). I also squared off the EF-128's fin tips. They'll probably change some more and I'll add some outrigger landing gear.

I'll also add a cockpit, make the nose solid and blank off the turret hole right in front of the jet intakes. I'll also add a remote/radar control stinger. Right now I'm looking at a lot of PSR...

Frank

ChernayaAkula

Whoa! Now that' gonna be a looker!

I think the engines look good the way they are at the moment.  :thumbsup: If you do want to change it, how about a three-engined approach? Separate the twin engines and put them on top of the wings at the wing root. The third engine goes where the twin engines sit now.

Any thoughts regarding a paint scheme yet? Silver with Invasion stripes for a USAAF '46 machine?  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

I gotta admit, it looks pretty interesting with the wing-stabilizers like that and the engines in place - very Blinder-esque with those engines in place.  Might suggest bigger engines get a test fit, to see which looks better, but that engine arrangement is just wicked.  I might suggest keeping tail horizontal stabilizers just for the extra control surface.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

frank2056

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 09, 2009, 07:35:30 AM
I think the engines look good the way they are at the moment.  :thumbsup: If you do want to change it, how about a three-engined approach? Separate the twin engines and put them on top of the wings at the wing root. The third engine goes where the twin engines sit now.

Any thoughts regarding a paint scheme yet? Silver with Invasion stripes for a USAAF '46 machine?  :wacko:

I've thought about a B-51ish approach; I'll mock it up tonight. As for paint schemes, I'm leaning towards bare metal. I think it has a British look to it, so it may end up with roundels.

Quote from: SauragnmonI gotta admit, it looks pretty interesting with the wing-stabilizers like that and the engines in place - very Blinder-esque with those engines in place.  Might suggest bigger engines get a test fit, to see which looks better, but that engine arrangement is just wicked.  I might suggest keeping tail horizontal stabilizers just for the extra control surface.

I tried the bigger JT3s on the back, and they looked too big (and heavy). They look OK in the wing roots (giving it a Tu-16 look). I tried some horizontal stabs but they seemed out of place. Maybe a T-tail... but that would make it look too conventional. Another option would be to shorten the tail.

The DML 1/200 B-52 kit was a pretty good deal for $9 - it has supplied parts for three builds so far, and I already have ideas for a 4th!

Frank

Sauragnmon

The mad scientist in me suggests Both sets of engines - carve up the JT3's and put them in the roots, with the smaller ones up on the spine like that, fit a tail between them like the Blinder, and then it would be a real Fast Bomber.  I still think the tail looks unbalanced though, and you might need Something back there to make it look right, but I don't quite know what just yet.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Army of One

Certainly interesting......I'm looking forward to how this finishes....Frank,I think your idea of some form of stinger in the tail is cool,fill the ledge you got there just right I think  ;D
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Doc Yo

Quote from: Sauragnmon on November 09, 2009, 12:01:52 PM
The mad scientist in me suggests Both sets of engines - carve up the JT3's and put them in the roots, with the smaller ones up on the spine like that, fit a tail between them like the Blinder, and then it would be a real Fast Bomber.  I still think the tail looks unbalanced though, and you might need Something back there to make it look right, but I don't quite know what just yet.

Well, I'm not mad ( thats my little brother, Hu ) but I like the B-51 notion. Leaving the rear fuselage 'clean' would
allow the tail stinger a much greater range of action.

puddingwrestler

Excellent. I love the text on the box; "Famour Aircraft of WW2"... you will have to ensure that label applies to your build, just to annoy the JMN. Or possibly "Famous Aircraft of WW3" or something.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Daryl J.

Weaver

That looks really promising Frank!  :thumbsup:

I respectfully disagree with the suggestions about adding tailplanes or a fin: a lot of early jet concepts had tailless configurations, in fact if I had to write a backstory for your's, I'd be inclined to make it a Shorts design.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Brian da Basher

That's an incredibly unique concept and will be totally convincing in BMF and RAF markings. Frank!

I'm really looking forward to your next update!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

frank2056

Quote from: Weaver on November 09, 2009, 06:24:55 PM
That looks really promising Frank!  :thumbsup:

I respectfully disagree with the suggestions about adding tailplanes or a fin: a lot of early jet concepts had tailless configurations, in fact if I had to write a backstory for your's, I'd be inclined to make it a Shorts design.

I was getting a Barnes Wallis "Swallow" vibe from it when I was putting the wings on. I was briefly tempted to put the engines on the wing tips, but...nah. that would just be too much. I was also tempted to go with a Raspberry Ripple paint scheme, but without a tail it would have been tough.

I've collected some more engine parts from another great cheap kit - the Academy B-47.

Brian da Basher

Double-dog dare ya to put piston engines and props on that B-47 Frank!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

frank2056

Quote from: Brian da Basher on November 11, 2009, 01:33:59 PM
Double-dog dare ya to put piston engines and props on that B-47 Frank!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

I'll meet you half way, Brian - turboprops!

Frank