The Committee Build...

Started by Hman, November 08, 2009, 08:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hman

Well following the suggestions you made (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26416.0.html) I have started a Mig 21 / F5 combo.

I took the nose of the F5 and cut it down to fit above the intact of the MIG. I then cut another slice of the F5 nose to make the 'chin' intake.  Not sure what I am going to do about the wings - thinking of cutting the MIG wings outboard of the wing fences and grafting on sections of the F5 elevators?

It is going to take a lot of filling and sanding to get the nose looking ok...
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Sauragnmon

Hmmm that's a pretty interesting idea, converting the Fishbed to the chin intake.  Not sure it's got enough flow, though, but it's a good idea.  The other thought might have been to do the side-intake conversion plan, where you fill the nose and put in side intakes to get a good radar in, though the 21-93 mounts a pretty good radar set.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Hman

Quote from: Sauragnmon on November 09, 2009, 09:40:58 AM
Hmmm that's a pretty interesting idea, converting the Fishbed to the chin intake.  Not sure it's got enough flow, though, but it's a good idea.  The other thought might have been to do the side-intake conversion plan, where you fill the nose and put in side intakes to get a good radar in, though the 21-93 mounts a pretty good radar set.

You may be correct about the air flow into the engine, but I was thinking along these lines.

Sauragnmon

That's a pretty neat looking J7 variant.  I gotta admit, yours looks a little more like a Mini-Sader, which in itself is pretty cool.  What're you going to do about the pit - going to give it a little F-5 loving too?  That'd be interesting to see as well.  Looking forward to seeing what else you add from the F-5 onto the Fishbed.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Weaver

That's a really neat idea you've come up with for the nose - nice one!  :thumbsup:

Double-deltarizing the wings also sounds like a good idea, as does Saur's suggestion of using F-5 cockpit bits. The F-5 canopy would be interesting and logical, since most MiG-21 upgrades include a frameless windscreen.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hman

A little more progress sorting out the wings.  Next the sanding and filling routine! :banghead:

Hman

I have glued the wings on...at last!

chrisonord

I will be watching this with great interest, as whiffing Mig-21's is a necessity for me ;D.
Excellent stuff and keep up the great work.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Hman

Quote from: chrisonord on February 21, 2010, 04:01:01 PM
I will be watching this with great interest, as whiffing Mig-21's is a necessity for me ;D.
Excellent stuff and keep up the great work.
Chris.

Thanks, I have just been sanding the wing roots and panels.  The fit is not good, but then agains it is a old Airfix kit, so what do you expect!

chrisonord

yes, I know exactly where you are coming from there, :rolleyes: The canopy is a bit draughty on them also :lol:
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Hman

It is starting to look like a plane.

Just noticed the tailplane is a little of centre..oh hum.. :blink:

Sauragnmon

If you're going to paint the canopy, I'd suggest that if you can, take the canopy off - do the framing on the outside, but paint the inside the solid colour, that way you retain the shine of the glass to give it a visual effect.

pyro-manic

That's looking very sleek, Hman. Keep it up! :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Hman

Need to add some dark green over the red brown, tidy up the nose and add the UC and missiles.