These pods carry more than fuel......

Started by dy031101, November 07, 2009, 10:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

I have always thought of the idea to integrate targetting sensors and/or other items into non-jettisonable fuel tanks is a pretty clever upgrade for combat aircraft of third generation or older, which don't tend to have a lot of hardpoints to spare.

Sargent Fletcher LITE pod as well as Mirage/Kfir/Cheetah fuel tanks featuring hardpoints or rocket launchers are amongst the most notable items in my mind.

I'd assume that it sounds easy to model these items in plastics- in the case of Sargent Fletcher LITE, take a Litening pod and a fuel tank, cut out the appropriate parts, and glue them together?

Oh speaking of pods, I can't get the big wingtip weapons/fuel pods of the F-89H off my mind but don't find F-89 that asthetic-pleasing, either...... I want to match the pods with another aircraft type's fuselage to for an asthetically-pleasing package...... would anyone make a suggestion?  Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

GTX

There is also this proposal for the Super Hornet:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: dy031101 on November 07, 2009, 10:23:53 PM

Oh speaking of pods, I can't get the big wingtip weapons/fuel pods of the F-89H off my mind but don't find F-89 that asthetic-pleasing, either...... I want to match the pods with another aircraft type's fuselage to for an asthetically-pleasing package...... would anyone make a suggestion?  Thanks in advance.

Starfighter? Always short of pylon space. Might need to make the wing look a bit stronger though: how about cutting it span-wise and inserting a section to increase the chord? Shouldn't be too hard....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

dy031101

Quote from: Weaver on November 08, 2009, 09:08:20 AM
Starfighter? Always short of pylon space.

I tried.

Quote from: Weaver on November 08, 2009, 09:08:20 AM
Might need to make the wing look a bit stronger though: how about cutting it span-wise and inserting a section to increase the chord? Shouldn't be too hard....

Might need to scale-up the entire Starfighter part of the combo, too......  ;D

elmayerle mentioned that the F-104 was actually scaled-down from an older design...... couldn't seem to locate that one in the ASP book that I bought though......  :banghead:

====================

To-do list here

deathjester

I think the F104 took a lot of features from the Douglas X3 Stilleto - same wings/ tailplane arrangement.
  As to the pods, why not put them on a B-58 Hustler to create a super interceptor!!?

elmayerle

Quote from: dy031101 on November 08, 2009, 09:14:57 AM

Might need to scale-up the entire Starfighter part of the combo, too......  ;D

elmayerle mentioned that the F-104 was actually scaled-down from an older design...... couldn't seem to locate that one in the ASP book that I bought though......  :banghead:
Unfortunately, Tony didn't have room for everything and this was one of them.  Those pods would be interesting on the wingtips of several Lockheed design studies, though I'm not sure how well those comparatively blunt pods would work with the more highly supersonic designs.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

PR19_Kit

The big F-89H pods, with the retractable Falcons, would look pretty good on the tips of a CF-100 Canuck I reckon. The CF-100's wingtip pods always looked a tad undersize to me, as if they'd got the scale wrong on the plans. :)

Of course any pods would look good on a Canberra............ ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dy031101

What if...... we take the F-15B/D and give it a wing platform similar to the Ye-155R prototype (the one with wingtip fuel tanks) and put a streamlined version of the pod on each wingtip?  ;D

Or the North American WS.300A......

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

As a variant to the LITE sensor/fuel combo tank, perhaps replacing the Litening sensors with RecceLite systems would be useful, too?

And the movie Hot Shots! always got me thinking...... I remember that there is a scene where the good guys' jets (forgot the name) attempted to fight enemy aircraft with the under-wing weapons pods...... I don't remember if the weapons fired are unguided rockets or guided missiles, but even if those are just rockets, what say we take it one step further and modify the noses of those auxilliary tanks with Stinger AAM tubes?

====================

To-do list here

jcf

A combined rocket-pod/fuel tank was proposed and mocked-up by EE for the Lightning.

Jon

GTX

Another view of the Super Hornet combined Tank/IRST proposal:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 20, 2009, 12:07:09 PM
A combined rocket-pod/fuel tank was proposed and mocked-up by EE for the Lightning.

Jon

That's the Matra JL-100.  It went into production & was carried by Saudi & Kuwaiti Lighnings as well as the Mirage III & 5.  There was the CEM-1 as well, a palette was placed in the fuel tank that contained practice bomblets.

More in this thread:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,24530.0/highlight,matra.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Wouldn't it be terribly expensive to drop such a combined tank/weapon system?  Considering the drag penalties for such a method of carrying a weapon/fuel tank, don't you end up with an expensive way of slowing your aircraft?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

Quote from: rickshaw on November 20, 2009, 11:25:40 PM
Wouldn't it be terribly expensive to drop such a combined tank/weapon system?

IIRC, such combo systems are often carried under hardpoints where stores are actually non-jettisonable.

====================

To-do list here

Mossie

Many rocket pod designs were considered disposeable, or at least to have a short lifespan.  I would imagine it would be jettisoned only if required by a mission emergency?  IIRC that's how many rocket pods are used, you keep hold of them to base, but if there's a SAM up your arse, you get rid quickly.  The JL-100's design has never been repeated to my knowledge, so this may have been seen to be a problem?

I personally worry more about mixing 18 high explosive rockets with 250 litres of fuel!  Although I guess if one or more fizzes of accidently, the hole in your wing is going to put a dampner your day anyway...
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.