Republic F3N-2 (or the navalized "Jug")

Started by Slerski, November 07, 2009, 11:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slerski

Hello everybody

Let me introduce myself. I'm Vincent, 22 y.o. and a French Air Force enthousiastic :lol:. I'm not really a new member of the forum, but here is my first GB tribute.

My project is to turn a P-47D-30 Thunderbolt into a carrier-based fighter-bomber developped after the failure of F4U Corsair (how can I say that ? :banghead:), the Republic F3N-2. A more detailed background and story will follow.

« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Weaver

Welcome on-board - sounds like a great idea!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

GTX

Welcome aboard - looking forward to seeing more of your proposal.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Daryl J.

Stargazer

Bienvenue Vincent ! Un fan d'aviation qui a le même prénom que mon fils aîné et de bonnes idées est forcément quelqu'un d'intéressant...  :ph34r:  :lol:

(ENGLISH TRANSLATION: Welcome Vincent! An aviation fan who has the same first name as my elder son and good ideas to boot just has to be worth knowing...)

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

Slerski,

Some real world inspiration:

A question:  Do you intend on folding the wings?  If so, how will you deal with the ammunition (which takes up a large portion of the outer wings - see below)?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Slerski

Thanks to all. I am delighted to see that my idea seems to please. Merci de ton accueil Stargazer, voir un francophone fait toujours plaisir :) (translation : Thank you Stargazer, see a French speaker always pleased)

To Greg : Thanks for the pics. Yes, I wish to fold up wings and I had not really thought of the problems of installation :huh:, especially with the armament which I plan to install. But I hope to find inspiration with the Sea Fury

elmayerle

Use a P-47N wing and add a further constant chord section, while moving the landing gear inboard, to handle the wing-fold mechanism.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Sauragnmon

I don't think it'd be even That difficult... if you installed a couple of small rollers to keep the rounds flat in the continuous mags like that, the gun bays are just outboard of the landing gears, you could in theory double that sectional wall and put the fold right there.

Looking forward to this...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Slerski

Sauragnmon

Hmmmm that wasn't Quite what I meant... as with that method you'd need to have tensioners or something to keep the belt feed from dropping out of the magazines when you fold the wings.  The way the Jug's magazine is set up for the wing guns is a concept that was started in Germany if I recall, known as the continuous mag - as opposed to being fed out of a box which can catch the belt and cause problems, the belt is run down the length of the wing in a flat open space, which prevents snags and kinks in the belt.

What I was meaning was the other side of the guns, right along the spacer between them and the landing gear bay area, so that the guns are in the fold, and the gears remain in place.  Something like the B7A had - the guns were in the folded part of the wing on that one too.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Slerski

I was thinking about something like that : Hispano MkV installation in the Sea Fury wings. Infact in this configuration, ammunitions are stocked behind the main landing gear, in the fixed wing part. It seems to be a very good start no?

Sauragnmon

You'd have to make considerations to have enough space for the belt feeds down the inside of the wing without running into any other parts like control surface mechanisms or such.  All else fails, you could say there's a feed guard cover that's set up on a small track as well that slides along the wing and moves with the fold without dropping it, and the belt, out of the wing when folded.  I don't know how else you could do it, but yeah, that's one way you could feed the Jug... though I think she's got tanks in her wings, which might make things a little problematic.

Slerski

No fuel tanks, only pilot energy  :ph34r: (and some beers  :cheers:). However, I'll think about these ideas.