New Project: F-16 with parts from the ususal F-104 (ever 1/48)

Started by G.Marcat, November 05, 2009, 02:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Marcat

Completed the F-404 now it's time for another F-104 variant.

The center part will be taken from the F-16, the front and the tail from the F-104.
For the wings I'm considering some options.

This is a my concept:

The donor kit is the F-16A from ESCI: it's horrible but for the my purposes it's ok.
The F-104 could be ESCI.

Sauragnmon

Hmmm the profile's certainly suggestive, looking forward to seeing what you pull out of this one.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

JP Vieira

I feel good vibes from this project: let's us see what you do with it  :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Sauragnmon on November 05, 2009, 03:46:10 PM
Hmmm the profile's certainly suggestive, looking forward to seeing what you pull out of this one.
Agreed! looks promising indeed! :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

G.Marcat

Yesterday done a lot of work, for now all the work is on the tail zone:

The tail zone from Esci F-104 fit without any problem at the tail of the F-16: even better, the outline of the lower zone of the glued tail is perfectly curved!

The empennage group is a source of problems.
Foresee a lot of work to obtain a decent look.

Two Pieces of plasticard added to the rear part of F-16 wings to replicate the shape of the F-104 wings.
The rear part of the F-104's fuselage is now glued to the F-16.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

G.Marcat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 09, 2009, 07:26:02 AM
Nice going! :thumbsup: The wing planform looks really good now! :wub:

To enlarge in some way the wings of the F-16 is mandatory!!!!
The original wings of the F-16 are no more greater than the F-104's wings.

Today afternoon finished the vertical empennage:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Kelly Johnson would have been proud......

.....or scared ! :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Weaver

Excellent project and looking really good..... :wub: Good work on the fin!  :thumbsup:

It's amazing how putting the Starfighter canopy on the F-16 changes the whole look of it, isn't it? I guess the F-16's frameless canopy is a real "signature" item.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

This may be my very favorite Starfighter... Congratulations (to be renewed after progress)... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

ElectrikBlue

Quote from: G.Marcat on November 09, 2009, 11:24:20 AM
To enlarge in some way the wings of the F-16 is mandatory!!!!
The original wings of the F-16 are no more greater than the F-104's wings.

Today afternoon finished the vertical empennage:

Nice blend of two generations of Lockheed products!  :thumbsup:

G.Marcat

Another bad surprise on old F-104s from ESCI: as found in another box, also this time the CANOPY has a SERIES of  SIGNS MOULDED on the inside:

I'm involved in the process to smooth down the signs with a cutter and sandpaper but if the operation will be not successful I can to use the F-16's canopy adapting it to the F-104 fuselage.
(Or I could to  purchase another cheap ESCI F-104 hoping to have luck and find inside the box a "clean" canopy not ruined?)
(Or I could to use the front fuselage from a more decent F-104 from Monogram?)

sandiego89

Great concept.  I vote monogram. I've seen both and the monogram in better than the esci. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

B777LR

I vote for the F-16 canopy :wub: If possible, an F-16B canopy, with the rear cockpit faired over :thumbsup:

G.Marcat

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 11, 2009, 06:23:41 AM
Great concept.  I vote monogram. I've seen both and the monogram in better than the esci. 

Oh Yes, the F-104 from Monogram is not a Hasegawa but it look like a F-104. The Esci is a Nightmare. It's all wrong and the parts do not fit well.

Between yesterday night and today I did completed a cleaning work on the ESCI ruined canopy without broke it.
Tomorrow, when the Future is dry I will see how is combined the canopy.