CAC Jacana - coming to this GB soon!

Started by kitbasher, November 04, 2009, 08:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

It's got floats.  
Picture shows Airfix Auster AOP6 floats inserted into Airfix S6b floats as a means of creating the basis of something suitably larger.  Too mean to buy a PM 'Floatfire' as a donor kit!
More soon..... ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

So, back to the Jacana....
Floats are coming along - float components all put together (struts made from old KP Spitfire outer wing panels) plus lashings of Milliput.  OK, so they look a bit like submarines.....
What's going on top of them?  Well, a recycled Airfix Kittyhawk that lost its main undercarriage in a loft tidy-up a couple of months ago, that's what.  So not a lot of kitbashing in this instance, I suppose, although that makes a change!  The Kittyhawk will be getting a new paint job, by the way (although I think the sharkmouth really does have to stay!!) - Temperate Sea Scheme.
Sanding down the floats and stripping the Kittyhawk (my 3rd P-40-based whif) to follow.  ;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

B777LR

Funny, that P-40 looks 120% identical to the one i did a few years back. Did you use an airbrush?

kitbasher

Quote from: B787 on January 09, 2010, 01:20:20 PM
Funny, that P-40 looks 120% identical to the one i did a few years back. Did you use an airbrush?
No sir, hand brush.  I do have a cheap aerosol-powered Badger airbrush I acquired ages ago but haven't taken the plunge.  ;D ;D

PS - just after coming up with the idea of using a P-40 for this whif and realising this is my 3rd P-40 whif, I took a look at the P-40 GB from a few years back before I became aware of this forum.  And then I saw John Howling-Mouse's 'Floatyhawk'.  Mine definately won't look like his! 

The Rat

Quote from: kitbasher on November 04, 2009, 08:32:05 AMIt's got floats.

Appropriate, as soon as I saw the name I wondered if it would have the over-size 'landing gear' of the real thing!  ;D

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitbasher

Floats are done and fitted, painting has begun.  Sorry, no pics just yet.
Need to sort out back story.
Realised this is my 3rd whif based on the Airfix P-40, and went to look at the P-40 GB frm a few years back (before my time in the SIG and on the forum) only to find John Howling Mouse's wining P-40 floatplanw.  Woe  :banghead:.  Never mind, my will look different.   ;D ;D

kitbasher

Painting almost done, pics soon!   ;D ;D

Correction - pic now added.

Clearly still a work in progress, with some further painting and, of course, touching up and matting to do.  Colour scheme is the same as that for RAAF Kingfishers, and camouflage pattern based on the Airfix Kittyhawk's Australian option.  Transfers come from the Airfix Kittyhawk, and Airfix Boomerang and a generic Aeroclub lettering sheet.   ;D ;D

kitbasher

Almost done.  One tiny bit of painting to do, matting is almost complete and a serial is all that's left of the markings to add.
The Airfix Kittyhawk decals looked OK on the sheet, but were the tiniest bit out of register, so touching up with a little paint was required.  The serials were unuseable, so I had to cannibalise some spare Airfix CAC Boomerang serials which were bangon in both register and colour.  Finmally the unit/aircraft codes (which came from a stock Aeroclub sheet) weren't the right colour to start with, so they've been overpainted Sky Grey.   ;D ;D

kitbasher

Very nearly there - hopefully finished tonight.   ;D ;D

kitbasher

All done.  Back story andother pics in the completed entries thread.  ;D ;D

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Captain Canada

That looks so good in those colours and with the boots ! Nice one !

It also looked pretty cool with the sand coloured canopy frame....hey, in wartime parts is parts !

Makes me think of a single seat Firefly in similar colours.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?