Cylon Basestar into WHIF US Space aircraft carrier?

Started by seadude, November 01, 2009, 08:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this. If it's wrong, then can a Mod help move it to the correct area, please?

Anyway, I went to a model contest on Halloween. During the raffle that they had, I won the following kits:

When I told my best friend tonight about what I won, he said he wanted to buy the Basestar from me for one of his future projects. I said only if I can't think of a WHIF, then you might be able to have it. Wasn't long after I said those words that I soon thought of a WHIF!  ;D Here's my idea. Let me know what you think.
Building the Basestar pretty much as is, but painting and decaling it as a US space naval carrier for space fighters. Anybody got suggestions for paint colors/schemes, armament options, and decals? Is there any tiny aircraft smaller than 1/700 scale that I could find to use for the Basestar?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Sauragnmon

I don't know that there's any aircraft smaller than 1/700 really, though I suspect there might be.  It would be interesting, and I would say perhaps some banded layout for a paint scheme - give it something significant, overall, though a base gray might not be bad per se, albeit a somewhat darker gray like a neutral gray perhaps might look better in the long stretch, pick out some details in lighter colours, and then work from there.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

batmancustoms

holly crap my man u made out!

I would keep the battle star and mod the heck out of it!
John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

nev

I think its a great idea - perhaps you could give it some Tricentennial markings? ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

philp

Revell make some 1/1200 scale carriers but think they are all WWII.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dragon

US Marines markings, thinking the great grandkids of the USS PELELIEU. 
Call it USS KHE SANH or USS FALLUJAH

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

seadude

I liked the look of the Earth space carriers on the old tv show Space: Above and Beyond, so that's the look or concept I'm trying to go for. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Mossie

You can find 1/1200 aircraft, I found these when I was thinking of doing HMS Habbakuk in this scale! ;)  Have a look at this site:
http://www.magistermilitum.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=192&strPageHistory=cat

There are other people who make them too, Google '1/1200 Aircraft' & you'll find quite a few.

Interesting project.... :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Silverfox

To make it look more 'authentic' and give it more of a S:AAB look, you could also attach a bunch of aerials, box-launchers for missiles, and other turrety goodness to it. As it is, it doesn't seem to have much in the way of that kind of stuff on it.
I love your idea though - can't wait to see how it comes out.

deathjester

If you want little starfighters, then google Ground Zero Games - they do loads of different styles of really tiny space fighters real cheap!