Navalize It! GB discussion thread

Started by Brian da Basher, November 01, 2009, 09:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Sailor, sound off here regarding your Navalize It! GB projects!

:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Ed S

OK.  I'm ready to go on this one.  Although, with Xmas coming up, my November and December are starting to get busy and I'm not sure how much modeling I'll get done until the new year.  Anyway, I have a Monogram Me-410 that will become a torpedo bomber for the Graf Zeppelin A/C Carrier.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Spey_Phantom

ive already started to look for conversion possibilities for a COD Do228 and a FW190T for the graf zeppelin carrier.
although i am also looking at other naval conversions like the F-105, F-104 and a single seat Hawk T-1 (as a brasilian A-4KU replacement)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

beowulf

bugger!............i was thinking of a FW190t as well! ;D ;D ;D..........................might go for a Me262t instead
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

lancer

Dammit!! Now I've got to think of a subject. I was thinking of a navalised Alpha Jet but I don't think that'll work.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: lancer on November 02, 2009, 12:25:06 PM
<...> I was thinking of a navalised Alpha Jet but I don't think that'll work.

Worked for the BAe Hawk converted to the T-45 Goshawk, didn't it? ;) So what are you waiting for?  :wacko: Like the Egyptian ones with Exocets.... :wub: CLICKY!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

lancer

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 02, 2009, 01:23:38 PM
Quote from: lancer on November 02, 2009, 12:25:06 PM
<...> I was thinking of a navalised Alpha Jet but I don't think that'll work.

Worked for the BAe Hawk converted to the T-45 Goshawk, didn't it? ;) So what are you waiting for?  :wacko: Like the Egyptian ones with Exocets.... :wub: CLICKY!

Well, it's got a hook at the back, so I'm halfway there and I do have a few sea eaghle missiles left over from an Airfix Bucc....So I think I'll play with this idea a bit more.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Daryl J.

Oops....I'd not looked through this thread before committing to a Fw-190...hopefully no toes feel trodden upon.
USMC Fw-190F, Korea.

:cheers:
Daryl J.

Weaver

I strongly suspect that, between real life and the HOG-memorial GB, I won't have time to enter this one, but just in case I get sacked between now and Christmas, I've acquired a Heller 1/72nd Viggen with the intention of making a Sea Viggen. Preliminary thoughts are:

1. Graft the rear-seat canopy into the single-seat airframe (the kit has both options) to give a higher seating position for the pilot for better visibility on approach (and to make it look different, of course ;) ),

2. Cut and fold the wings and tail (the latter folds IRL, of course),

3. Remove the thrust-reverser (unneccessary on a carrier) and fit a fully-variable nozzle,

4. Fit an arrestor hook. Since this would clash with the ventral fin, discard the latter and use the taller SK fin, and possibly two ventral fins taken from Airfix Viggens on the wing trailing edge between the finboard and outboard control surfaces.

5. Single-wheel main gear.

6. Since the Heller kit has no weapons, update Airfix Rb-04Es to an "intermediate" AshM standard, i.e. with cruciform nose fins and an intake like RbS-15, but still with the wings and endplate fins.

7. Since the Heller kit doesn't cover the JA-37, the story is that naval Viggens don't have internal guns (to maximise loadout flexibility) but can use ADEN pods (taken from Hawks or Harriers) on the fuselage side stations instead of Sidewinders.

IMPORTANT: if anybody else is contemplating a Sea Viggen, GO FOR IT! Feel free to use any of these ideas too, if they appeal to you. As I said, I seriuosly doubt I'll get a chance to attempt this in time for the GB.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Green Dragon

Completely forgot about the GB so can I have a two month extension?! ;D :banghead:
Was planning a Navalised Arado Ar234P but not sure it will be done in time so first I'll try a quickie Naval point defense fighter from a Dragon E.381 parasite fighter kit.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

ChernayaAkula

Don't know whether I'll be able to make it in time because of university commitments (although a two week extension would certainly help), but I got this idea:

The Fw 190 will be a 1/72 Revell kit, an F-8 variant. The floats will come off an Airfix Vought Kingfisher I found in the stash.

Backstory is that after the Bismarck was discovered and crippled by aircraft, the Kriegsmarine thought about providing better fighter cover for their big ships. The Ar 196 was deemed inadequate to go after recon planes or torpedo bombers. To remedy that, a high-performance fighter should be navalized so that it could be launched from ships. Arado, already providing the Ar 196 float plane and building the Fw 190 in commission, was assigned to study the feasibility of adapting the Fw 190 to ship-borne use.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

nev

That really works as a floatplane - maybe because your legs are quite short, making it look pretty sleek (for a floatplane)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Green Dragon

Well I didn't get anything finished (Ar234 about 1/3rd done and the naval point defence fighter only about 20%). If I finish any I'll put them in the current build section.

Paul Harrison

Edit :-only just noticed the gb has been extended to Feb14th. Might get something finished after all!
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)