FFVS J-22

Started by ysi_maniac, November 01, 2009, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFVS_22

This tiny aircraft shows some interesting (IMO) features:

low use of light alloy or expensive materials :mellow:
strong undercarriage that closes doors after deploiment :wacko: you will know about this point soon :wacko:
design under pressure :huh:
Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

For some reason this design leaps out for carrier conversion to me.  Here is a 3-view:

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ysi_maniac

^^^^^
Hi GTX,
I agree with you and I think the point is sturdiness of undercarriage. Look at my Falcata entry in Navalize it! GB :thumbsup:

Hotte

A FFVS J-22 in german colors for evaluation at the Luftwaffe.
With BMW 801 engine !

Hotte

WildeSau

You guesses are almost right as when I built my J 22 many years ago, there was only one kit available.
Arne Andersson vacu in 1/72.

I scratchbuilt mine instead with the following parts.

Fuselage - Bf 109 E
Cowling - FW 190
Canopy - Mitsubishi Zero
Landing gear - F4U Corsair
Tailplane - AT-6 Texan

When they tested FW 190 together with J 22 in 1945, the FW 190 only had german markings and never got any swedish crowns.

Of course I have a solution of that too.  ;D

// Jan

ysi_maniac

Quote from: WildeSau on November 09, 2009, 05:14:04 AM
You guesses are almost right as when I built my J 22 many years ago, there was only one kit available.
Arne Andersson vacu in 1/72.

I scratchbuilt mine instead with the following parts.

Fuselage - Bf 109 E
Cowling - FW 190
Canopy - Mitsubishi Zero
Landing gear - F4U Corsair
Tailplane - AT-6 Texan

And wings? Bf-109 E I guess.

Arc3371

"World's fastest - in relation to the engine power" or popular version "World's fastest in relation to the track width"

How would the wooden construction of the J-22 be affected by sea deployment? And what engines would be suitable for a J-22C?

WildeSau

Quote from: ysi_maniac on November 09, 2009, 07:40:24 PM

Upps, forgot the wing and yes, they're from Bf 109E.

Quote from: Arc3371 on November 09, 2009, 07:54:08 PM
"World's fastest - in relation to the engine power" or popular version "World's fastest in relation to the track width"

How would the wooden construction of the J-22 be affected by sea deployment? And what engines would be suitable for a J-22C?

Checked my reference book about the J 22. Most of them were scrapped in the early 50's and no problems with delamination on the birch plywood.

Getting suitable engines were always a problem in Sweden during the war.
The Twin Wasps in the J 22's were ex-french war-booty engines bought from Germany in 1943 and reverse engineered copies built by SFA in Sweden, originally delivered with the Seversky P-35A in 1940

As the swedes license built the DB605, how about something like the finnish converted VL Myrsky II to Pyörremyrsky  ;D

Another couldhavebeen is the Curtiss 75 Hawk also in store and for sale in France when they bought the engines, but they weren't that desperate to get such an unmodern plane then in 1943...

cheers, Jan

elmayerle

Hmm, wonder how and cCurtiss H-75 hawk would do when re-engined with a license-built Swedish DB605?  They'd need to add a radiator ad such (perhaps low-drag leading-edge radiators and oil coolers between the fuselage and the main landing gear), but it could make for an interesting aircraft.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Arc3371

Quote from: WildeSau on November 10, 2009, 01:33:26 PM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on November 09, 2009, 07:40:24 PM

Upps, forgot the wing and yes, they're from Bf 109E.

Quote from: Arc3371 on November 09, 2009, 07:54:08 PM

Checked my reference book about the J 22. Most of them were scrapped in the early 50's and no problems with delamination on the birch plywood.

Getting suitable engines were always a problem in Sweden during the war.
The Twin Wasps in the J 22's were ex-french war-booty engines bought from Germany in 1943 and reverse engineered copies built by SFA in Sweden, originally delivered with the Seversky P-35A in 1940

As the swedes license built the DB605, how about something like the finnish converted VL Myrsky II to Pyörremyrsky  ;D

Another couldhavebeen is the Curtiss 75 Hawk also in store and for sale in France when they bought the engines, but they weren't that desperate to get such an unmodern plane then in 1943...

cheers, Jan

I assume that deployement at sea would be harder on wooden parts than they experienced in OTL series, as for the Hawk-75 it was offered repeatedly to the Swedish purchasing commission but turned down in favour of the EP-106 and the V-49C

GTX

GTX

What if the Swedes had fitted a DB605 to the J-22 to update it, after all they had DB605s:

Crude rendition.

Regards,

Greg

Pablo1965

I hope see this model soon :thumbsup:

GTX

Your one is even nicer :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Spot on - G.55 :thumbsup:

Those Ilmavoimat DB605 ones look great - maybe I need another F.22 kit since the one I have is already allocated to another whiff.

Regards,

Greg