Melbourne Cup Day - what do you do with it?

Started by puddingwrestler, October 30, 2009, 04:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Well, it's Melbourne Cup Day on Tuesday, which means that the nation is obliged to stop. What with the new workplace agreement between the DEECD (Education Department) and the teachers, we no longer get the monday off as well which is cause for some cursing and a reduction in the ability of the holiday t stop the nation...

All of which is beside the point!

What are you chaps wot are effected by said holiday going to do with it?
Is anyone going to get frocked and do the fashions of the field?
Is anyone even going to bother with the race (personally, I'm more interested in the Colac Ferret Cup which runs at the same time :thumbsup:)
Will you spend the whole day whiffing like a real man?
Will you spend the whole day whiffing like a real man IN A CUP HAT?
Should we hold a 24 hour cup day challenege to build anything over the holiday? (okay, so we have a relitively low number of Victorian members, but me and Buzzbomb could go at it hammer and tongs!)
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Only in Victoria (and South Australia for Adelaide Cup) - the rest of Australia still has to work to pay for those lazy, gambling Victorians...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

pyro-manic

Ah well - someone's got to do it!

Wish we had holidays for social events here - Royal Ascot would fit nicely (five days!)... :D

PW: If I was poncing around in a silly hat, I'd be far too drunk to be safely hacking plastic...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

buzzbomb

Quote from: GTX on October 30, 2009, 08:25:00 PM
Only in Victoria (and South Australia for Adelaide Cup) - the rest of Australia still has to work to pay for those lazy, gambling Victorians...

Regards,

Greg

Ahhh yes... the justice of it all.

It is a dedicated modelling day in my workshop.. if I have a holiday for a horse race, midweekish.. I am going to make the most of it.
Puddings.... you are on !!!!!

DaFROG

it's supposedly the race that stops the nation, except if your a uni student (had exams every cup day, usually during the race) and last year i went in to work on the monday to get stuff done in peace and ended up driving to port lincoln (through colac but no time to stop to check out the ferret cup) and back on cup day.

This year I am in melbourne and have the WEEK off so yes I'm in too (family BBQ's and 80 somethings birthdays not withstanding).

puddingwrestler

Well... Victoria has Cup Day, but other states have thier own holiday somewhere in the year; often a show day or some such. Theoretically, the holiday is only for Melbourne and those who choose to have it; other towns/cities/communities have thier own cup days. I know Geelong has Geelong Cup Day, and some rural places do cup or show days of thier own.

As to GB rules: It must be made entierely on November 3rd. Bonus marks if it involves a hat, or IS a hat.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

B777LR

Only in Victoria (and South Australia for Adelaide Cup) -
Only? ;D Victoria is many times bigger than Denmark, Belgium or the Netherlands, with roughly the same size of population ;D

nev

Could never figure out the big deal when I lived there.  Its only a bloomin' horse race!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitnut617

Quote from: nev on October 31, 2009, 05:23:02 AM
Could never figure out the big deal when I lived there.  Its only a bloomin' horse race!

Countries like Australia, Canada, USA -- are fairly young and don't have a mountain of history as far as the settlers are concerned.  So anything that is cause for a party is fair game for a national, provincial or civic holiday.  Over here, Halloween for instance (tonight by the way) is quite a big deal, whereas when I grew up in the UK I don't remember celebrating it at all, Guy Fawkes night was too close I think.  There's a Victoria Day here in Canada too, I'm still trying to figure out why but I'm supposed to know, seeing as I took my Canadian Citizenship quite a few years ago.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

B777LR

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 31, 2009, 08:51:30 AM
There's a Victoria Day here in Canada too, I'm still trying to figure out why but I'm supposed to know, seeing as I took my Canadian Citizenship quite a few years ago.

Lol, the Danish nationalist party passed a law 2 years ago, that makes all emigrants need to take a test in order to become a Danish citizen. We took it in class, and none of us passed ;D

JayBee

Well, here in Scotland it was not called "Trick or Treat" it was called Guising, I think it was an abreviation of Disguising. You wore a costume of some sort, and you had to sing, tell a joke, perform in some way, and you hoped for money, or fruit, nuts, sweets etc. Mostly money!
The money went to buy fireworks for Guy Fawks Night (Nov. 5th) when we all celebrated someone trying to blow up the English Parliament!
Mind you that was a LOT of years ago. :rolleyes:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

Quote from: B787 on October 31, 2009, 09:35:37 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 31, 2009, 08:51:30 AM
There's a Victoria Day here in Canada too, I'm still trying to figure out why but I'm supposed to know, seeing as I took my Canadian Citizenship quite a few years ago.

Lol, the Danish nationalist party passed a law 2 years ago, that makes all emigrants need to take a test in order to become a Danish citizen. We took it in class, and none of us passed ;D

Had to do that over here to Thomas, actually I became a Canadian Citizen twice.  Apparently if your young child is also going to be a Canadian Citizen, someone in the family has to be a Citizen already, so me and a bunch of other fathers were carted off to another room where we did the ceremony and then re-joined the family and promptly did it all over again.

Victoria Day is to celebrate Queens Victoria & Elizabeth's 'Official' birthday, see I knew I had to know that ----  :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

elmayerle

Quote from: JayBee on October 31, 2009, 09:57:17 AM
Well, here in Scotland it was not called "Trick or Treat" it was called Guising, I think it was an abreviation of Disguising. You wore a costume of some sort, and you had to sing, tell a joke, perform in some way, and you hoped for money, or fruit, nuts, sweets etc. Mostly money!
The money went to buy fireworks for Guy Fawks Night (Nov. 5th) when we all celebrated someone trying to blow up the English Parliament!
Mind you that was a LOT of years ago. :rolleyes:

JimB

Eh, it's just me speculating, but I wonder if "Guising" bears a derivation from "Geis" or "Ghost".  For the date, that would be rather appropriate.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

DaFROG

australia's citizenship test thingee used to have stuff about don bradman on it. he was a great cricketer to be sure but I'm pretty sure plenty of people out there managed to be great assets to this country without knowing his batting average ;D

back on topic the ingredients for my build have been selected. All i can reveal right now is that it involves a tomcat (or should i say tomkitty).

the full and terrifying details will be revealed at 00:01 hours November 3rd (you may need protective eyewear)