Imaginary NATO reporting names

Started by Stargazer, October 28, 2009, 12:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't think of anything better...

Here is a list of imaginary NATO reporting names for aircraft and helicopters I have made up. I'm sharing it for your enjoyment, but also as a source of inspiration for possible imaginary Soviet or Chinese aircraft.

Just a reminder: B is for bomber, C for cargo, F for fighter, H for helicopter and M for miscellaneous...

If the topic is misplaced, please would a moderator move it to wherever it belongs... Thanks!

kitbasher

I don't see 'CATFLAP', 'BALDRICK' or 'MIGGINS'.  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Stargazer

It would be nice to collect here all suggestions. So please add more if you feel like it!

puddingwrestler

There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

beowulf

would need a Melchett and Flasheart too then  ;D ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Cobra

how about these:FUDGENUT & BLOODFIST!!!!!!!!!! just a Few that Sprang into my Head now!!!!!!

Stargazer

These are from my imagination, not a list of existing whiff names, okay?

Actually I DID consider BLACKADDER as an option, then ruled it out... (3 syllables, most have only two)

I also briefly considered things that were either too emphatic or too derogatory (on the whole NATO picks names that are in-between). I have to admit that BULLSHIT or FATSO are kind of borderline...

I almost DIDN'T include FIREFOX, obviously because of the Clint Eastwood movie... But it's so good a name I couldn't resist!

Some are a bit corny, for sure... (HAMSTER, MUFFIN or MUSSLE for instance!) but some sound so good that I'm surprised they were never used by NATO! (BACKBONE, BAKSHISH, BOILER, CRACKPOT, HUSSARD or MONGOOSE would make some really nice Whiffs I think!)

A handful were actually real aircraft names once: CROSSBOW was a Radioplane missile, FIREBALL was a Ryan naval fighter, MARLIN was a Martin patrol flying-boat, MARTIAN was the initial inhouse name for the Marauder...

Acree

FOWLER is (IMHO) an excellent name for a fighter (see An-27 Fowler - http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25591.0.html)

Chuck

nev

I'm sure Radish will be along soon to tell you all about his Sukhoi (something I can't say in front of the kids)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

Well I have a cocked-up-but-maybe-saveable Yak-140 Frogspawn based on a Mystere IV.

I also have a MiG-21 from which the cockpit fairing and spine have been removed, which might end up as an SS-somethingorother Spineless Matador-style cruise missile.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

JJC

KEEP THE VULCAN FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stargazer

Quote from: nev on October 28, 2009, 11:39:15 PM
I'm sure Radish will be along soon to tell you all about his Sukhoi "Fellatio"

I actually considered (hum me a song) and (wow is that messy) but discarded them as too risqué...  ;D
As for BEAVER... well, there are still DHC-2 aircraft flying in Alaska, I guess it would be a source of confusion!

Quote from: overkiller
...due to it's non-appearance on camera I suggest "Bogus" is a more likely name....

Look more closely... BOGUS DOES appear in my list!

Quote from: weaver
Well I have a cocked-up-but-maybe-saveable Yak-140 Frogspawn based on a Mystere IV.

Wow! Can't wait to see it!!!

Quote from: weaver
I also have a MiG-21 from which the cockpit fairing and spine have been removed, which might end up as an SS-somethingorother Spineless Matador-style cruise missile.

I like SPINELESS! And the concept sounds excellent, since the MiG-21 DOES look like a piloted missile of sorts...
By the way, I haven't yet finished my list of A / G / K / S NATO names for missiles, but it will be in this topic soon...

elmayerle

Hmm, for a ground attack aircraft (Fighter) how about FLAKBAIT?  Perhaps FLOTSAM for a naval fighter?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

Note, there's at least one case of NATO codenames being switched around.  The Tu-28 was originally thought to be a bomber and codnamed BLINDER while its Tu-26 sibling was BEAUTY; when the TU-28 was found to be an interceptor, it was re-christend FIDDLER and the BLINDER name transferred to what had been BEAUTY (supposedly, a general didn't like a Soviet bomber having a rather complimentary name).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Daryl J.

Didn't Antonov do a design study of a  flying boat that would meet USSR based fishing vessels and transport their wares to the mainland called the Crabcake?

And rumor has it that Mikoyan had a non-afterburning variant of the MiG-21 called the Fishstick.