Any Future left?

Started by Scooterman, October 25, 2009, 06:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterman

I'm just about out and I can't find any in my local DFW area.  Anybody still have a source available?

dragon

Strange.  In California I don't have any problems finding the stuff at my local Grocery Store.  Is there something going on in Texas that you can't find it at your local HEB?
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

nev

Yes, but is it the new or old formula?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

dragon

Quote from: nev on October 26, 2009, 01:08:18 AM
There's been a change?  What is it?
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Scooterman

Quote from: dragon on October 25, 2009, 09:38:13 PM
Strange.  In California I don't have any problems finding the stuff at my local Grocery Store.  Is there something going on in Texas that you can't find it at your local HEB?

No HEBs in the DFW area.......

Quote from: dragon on October 26, 2009, 03:34:29 PM
There's been a change?  What is it?

Read this-
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,19848.0.html

Martin H

Quote from: dragon on October 26, 2009, 03:34:29 PM
There's been a change?  What is it?

I dunno if it effects the US market, but on this side of the pond the formula has been changed compleatly to comply with EU chemical safety regs, The new EU version is useless model wise by all accounts and bottles of the old stuff are worth their weight in gold these days
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Martin H

This URL was posted up on the IPMS(UK) forum a few days ago. Its quite helpfull.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Who'd have though there was THAT much information on FLOOR POLISH for goodness sake!  :lol:

But it's very handy, as you say Oh Reverred One, well spotted.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

LOL - it was posted on here over a year ago, but for some reason didn't get transferred to the "paint etc..." sub-forum when it was set up:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21471.new.html#new
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

silverwindblade

So, I keep being recommended to use Future like a broken record by various members of the forum, but if the new formula is all that's left on the shelves at the moment, is it worth getting any?

Is the new stuff any good for clear parts, or is there an alternative that will remove scratches etc. from clear components?

I didn't get into modelling until last year or thereabouts after being a Games Workshop and Gundam kit modeler for a long time, and I didn't use (or even hear of) Future at that time (especially because I was lazy, and didn't paint my Gundam kits! xP)
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

NARSES2

I laid in a few bottles of Future when the word of the change of formula spread. However I have used Humbrol gloss varnish in the past. Probably most gloss varnishes will work although they are not as "thin" as future and don't have the same self leveling properties. Try thinning them ?

Others may well know better.

Wellcome to the mad house by the way
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

silverwindblade

I'll keep that in mind, and keep an eye on responses.
Also, thanks for the welcome, although I've been around a while under a different name - Silverfox - but due to problems with e-mail access and the loss of my original password information, I created a new account to get back onto the forums.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!