Urban Combat Abrams M1A8 (Urban)--- Finished

Started by buzzbomb, October 20, 2009, 05:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Another of the type of machines I have been hankering to do, largely inspired by the description of the advanced Abrams in the Weapons of Choice series of books.

I have read several articles around the web about how Main Battle tanks are not really suited to urban situations, the main gun not having enough elevation to target taller buildings and the available ammo not being perhaps of the right type.
So I decided to use a pair of larger calibre autocannons, probably 50-75mm, with increase elevation. I reckon that an autocannon could chew up a building pretty well. It looks a bit Sgt York, but works for me.
Also planning to add a dozer blade

So it is bit like the Russian T-72 Urban Vehicle the BMPT in a ways

Plus I plan to add some point defences and anti missile/personel subturrets, using a type of Metal Storm defence.
Finally I plan to add bar armour over the turret and sides.. just in case one does get through.. besides it looks sexy.

Anywaysss...I put saw to plastic starting out with an older 1/35 Italeri M1 Abrams and this is where I am at as of now

Turret Mods.. I removed the gun sight box as it was not needed and plated over it

Fixing the texture over the new plate with some green putty and laquer thinners stippled in.

Soldering up the bar armour

And yes.... it will get an urban camo scheme based on the Berlin Brigade type pattern.. that is really where I am up to as from past experience with the Berlin Brigade scheme, you cannot have too much detail on or masking becomes a nightmare of Tim Burton proportions.

More shortly.. I hope

Cheers BT

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

lenny100

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Weaver

Wow - neat project. :thumbsup:

How about a .50 cal sniper rifle on a precision remote-mount for proportional response, i.e. kill the sniper without dropping half his building onto the school playground next door?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

Bar armour and urban camo?  Good luck mate, you'll need it............ *shudders*
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Sauragnmon

Oooo I like the twin autocannon fitting... and to think Chris and I were joking not an hour or two back about fitting some interesting monster turrets to some of the known tanks of the world...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

philp

Looking  good BT.  Think you can get it done in time for the Whiffies this year?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ChernayaAkula

Whoa! Cool project!

Really like the Metal Storm turrets! :thumbsup:

Weaver's idea of a remote-controlled sniper weapon sounds pretty cool, too.  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

buzzbomb

Thanks for the encouragement so far.

I intend to put a remote Weapons station on with a standard .50 cal.

Well the urban camo is pretty much done.. even went a little digital. Not as hard as it look really just a lot of masking but to my eye worth the effort

next is putting on all the major components after painting them now I know what colours are where

sudzonic

WOW that paint job is stunning nice work  :bow:
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!

Logan Hartke

That looks awesome, buzzbomb.  The colors are almost the same as the Czech Hinds that I love.

Cheers,

Logan

frank2056

Wow, this is a great idea and the camo looks fantastic! Are you going to leave it as a relatively low contrast paint job, or go with the higher contrast dark gray/light gray version?

Sauragnmon

Man, that camo is absolutely wicked.  Seven shades of awesome.  Definately Bravo Zulu on that.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Taiidantomcat

Gorgeous Camo  :wub: I love the cylinders you added to the turret corners up front-Ingenious  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.