USAF's Newest Fighter/Utility Helicopter!

Started by Keith Diamond, October 20, 2009, 03:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Diamond

With the budget shrinking every year, it was decided that the USAF's newest aircraft will need to satisfy both the fighter requirement and the lift requirement.  To save even more money, it was decided that it would be more cost effective to use a boneyard airframe, instead of new build airframes.  Old UH-1Cs were chosen for this role.  Air to air refueling capability was added, along with a new, cheap radar to be used in its fighter role, all while maintaining its utility capability.  Thus the FUH-1C was born.

The kit is the Monogram UH-1C Huey Hog.  I robbed the rocket pods and a few small parts from it a long time ago, so I had to think of something to do with it.  Then the crazy idea of adding -120s and 9s popped in my head.  I knew I wanted a black helicopter, and decided to use some leftover Twobobs F-117 decals.  The scheme was partly inspired by Airwolf, and also AC-130s. 

The "radar" is a spare part of the Monogram P-38 kit.  The missile rails were leftovers from the Hasegawa F-16 kits, and they attach to spare bomb racks from the Testors F-18.  The refueling probe is cleaned up sprue, that was later put in my dremel and turned.  AIM-120s were from the Italeri F-16 kit, and the AIM-9s were from the Testors F-18.

Hope you guys like it.

I wish my camera could have focused on some close up detail in the cab.  I thought I did a good job, and one of the crewman left behind his copy of Playboy on the back bench seat.
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Stargazer

Wow! What a clean model! It's an original concept and impeccably done. Congrats!

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Fulcrum

Now that would be awesome against these bothersome cessnas intruding on the capital no-fly zone!!!
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Stargazer

Quote from: chrisonord on October 20, 2009, 03:45:54 PM
That is as mad as a box of Frogs  :wacko: :thumbsup:
Chris.
:o I gather that this frog wasn't the object of this strange remark...  >:( I don't think so, but you'll have to admit it came rather awkwardly right after my own message!!!  :blink:

Army of One

Great looking build there sir,a question though.....where the playboy mag come from.....I seen one on a rear seat of a photo build of a Trumpeter Tu 22 (i'm sure it was) in 1/72 in SAMI
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on October 21, 2009, 12:39:24 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on October 20, 2009, 03:45:54 PM
That is as mad as a box of Frogs  :wacko: :thumbsup:
Chris.
:o I gather that this frog wasn't the object of this strange remark...  >:( I don't think so, but you'll have to admit it came rather awkwardly right after my own message!!!  :blink:

LOL - classic "tomayto - tomarto" moment..... ;D

"Mad as a box of frogs" is a fairly standard UK expression for something that's crazy, roughly equivalent to "nutty as a fruit cake". The frogs in question are the amphibious kind, not the continental kind.... ;) ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Keith - nice model! Lovely paint finish in particular... :wub:

Mind you, it is a bit mad as a.....oh never mind.......;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tanktastic43

Sauragnmon

Very very nice work, quite the "Huey on drugs" as I would put it.  Extra teeth with your Jungle Hopper? Please do.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Brian da Basher

Looks terribly under armed. I think it needs more missiles.
;)
Seriously though, this is one killer chopper, Keith! I really like all the weapons you added and the black paintjob is sure to turn lots of heads!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Taiidantomcat

Wonderful Blasphemy! We don't get enough Helicopter Whifs!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.