Can you feel the excitement... the Whiffies are getting closer

Started by philp, October 16, 2009, 11:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

All,
It is time to set up this years categories for the Second Annual Whiffies.  There will be some changes to the categories that we had last year but would like to hear some suggestions.

Also, if you have interest in helping pick the categories and helping with the voting process, please contact me.

And remember to continue to make suggestions to sway the vote http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23097.0.html.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

I just hope its a little easier for you this year Phil - I know you put a ton of effort into last years.

BTW, its still October!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

philp

Quote from: nev on October 16, 2009, 12:12:10 PM
I just hope its a little easier for you this year Phil - I know you put a ton of effort into last years.

BTW, its still October!

I know it is a little early since the voting won't start until January 1st but I would like to get the categories set up by the end of the month.  This will give people 2 months to think about their picks.

The initial vote is the hardest part because of the tabulations needed.  If anyone has a better suggestion on how to do that, I would love to hear it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Brian da Basher

I suggest posting polls for the voting. I started doing this with group builds and it really saved a lot of time and trouble.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Brian da Basher on October 17, 2009, 06:49:28 AM
I suggest posting polls for the voting. I started doing this with group builds and it really saved a lot of time and trouble.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Seconded!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

philp

That works for the final vote when I have a list of potential picks.  Until then though, I have every model built on the site in the last year.  Now if someone wants to put together a poll for each category with every possible entry for it (yeah, sci-fi, armor, ships and figures maybe), I would gladly do a poll :blink:.  By the way, how many can you post on a poll?

Keep the ideas coming.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

puddingwrestler

The number twenty springs to mind, but that might be from another forum...
I'm always up to assist on the whiffies.
Have you added my 'Junior Modeler' or whatever I called it idea? Come to think of it, would we get enough entries for that one this year?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

philp

PW, you're hired.

Haven't seen much posted by junior modelers this year.  There may be a couple posted by some proud daddies but not sure there is enough for a category.

Well, just tried with a test poll and got to 53 options with it still saying I can add more.  Now, if I can just figure out a way to use it for nominations.  I guess the Academy could pick up to 50 options for each category.  But my concern would be some of the categories could have a hundred or more possible nominations (prop, jet, camo, etc).  Anyone have any input on this?  Maybe, the build has to be included in the Sway the Whiffies thread to be on the nomination list.  Course, there are a bunch of good builds that haven't been placed there (yet) that would miss out.  While these options would make it easier on the nomination process, not sure they give everyone a fair chance.

The other category I have been thinking about a lot is the Best Profile.  Seriously thinking of changing it to the Best Profiler.  Not sure how many profiles have been added this year but had a heck of a time last year getting more than one nomination for profiles.  Best Profiler can go many routes.  Most created, best quality, best imagination, best doing requests, etc.  It would put it on the nominators how they want to pick them.
What do you guys/gals think?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

Yes, I've wondered over the profile thing myself.  I've got zillions of the beggars saved on my HD, choosing my favourite out of that would be nigh on impossible.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

I like the idea of making the Sway the Whiffies thread the official nominations thread. After all, if a model doesn't motivate anyone to put it in there, then it's not going to get anywhere in the actual voting, is it? Leave it completely open as it it is now, so anyone can make any number of nominations: Who Cares Wins, basically.

Push it though: regular reminders. There's loads of times I've thought 2must put that in the Whiffies" and then never got around to it.... :banghead:

Speaking of which......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

I'm with you most of the way - my question is, how many people have done the nominating in the Whiffies thread?  If its a hardcore of the same people, then there is the chance that depending on their intrests etc that certain subject areas might be neglected.

But yeah I agree with you, no point in diluting it down.  The whiffies is about separating the sheep from the goats.  And if you have 50-odd choices in one poll, chances are that the voting will be ridiculously spread around.

Weaver

If an area is being neglected, then there are two courses of action open:

1. Targeted reminders, e.g. "Ship Whiffers: start nominating Whiffies or you'll be left out!"

2. Philip or one of the other organiser/helpers goes and nominates some.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

I agree with Weaver on this; the sway ye olde whiffe thread would be a good way to go. I also agree that reminders are needed. REally, it'd run like the nomination process last year, but open, and things would not get nomed twice. Really, last year we didn't start nominating things until close to the date anyway, so this would be basically the same with pictures.

puddingwrestler

A quick scan of the sway ye olde whiffe thread reveals it is currently mostly composed of posts from five or so members; however once we start to popularize it and call for nominations to be posted hence I'm sure more people will start to patronize it. I intend to start looking for things to nominate pretty soon, and I am sure others will join me.

philp

I am really liking this idea as the work load will go way down on the nomination process for the committee.

So, will have to do some other postings to make sure people are putting in the links.  Then we can go through and make our lists from that topic on January 1st.  People will still get to pick 5 in each category to go to the final vote unless there are less than 5 nominations in a category.  In that case we can come up with some extras.

Again, the 5 builds that get the most votes through all categories will be on the final vote for Whiffie of the Year.

I think this process will shave off about 40 hours of the time I spent with the nominations last year  :party:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies