Scratchbuilt Bensen gyrocopter

Started by KiwiZac, October 15, 2009, 01:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi all!

Decided one Saturday recently to make a 1:48ish model of a workmate's Bensen gyrocopter:

- minus the moss :P - and finished it off by Sunday evening. Hope you enjoy :)

This is a collaboration between several kits, here are most of them:
Hasegawa "Coinseries" 1:84 JetRanger, a 1:48 Bird Dog, Matchbox 1:72 BAC Strikemaster, Revell 1:28 Fokker Dr.I, Airfix 1:72 BAC TSR.2, Minicraft (?) and Airfix 1:72 F-15 Eagles, Heller 1:48 Aerospatiale Squirrel, Airfix 1:72 Supermarine Walrus, Frog 1:72 Airspeed Oxford, High Planes 1:48 P-51D "Precious Metal", Academy 1:48 Hughes 500D, Hasegawa 1:48 P-40M, and a coupla others I can't really identify. Length is a shade over 8cm, rotor spans 12cm.

Aaaand thanks to Nick P for suggesting I share this little bit of fun with y'all. :thumbsup:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Nick

Wonderful work Zac! This could set the record for most kits used in one build  :o

KiwiZac

And when you see how small this sucker is, you wonder how so many kits can fit!
Zac in NZ

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

Weaver

Hah - neat!   :wub: Nice one Zac!  :thumbsup:

I found some very small scale helo bits a while back and have contemplated similar things...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Stargazer

Wow. I admire the work of patience you put into such a tiny recreation. Well done! Despite some obvious differences (notably the part of the frame to which the wheels are attached), it conveys the general impression of the real thing, which is a very good sign!

Scooterman

jcf

A little bit o' drybrushing with green and you'll have the complete package. ;)

Nice work, Zac.

JoeP

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

rickshaw

Where are the guns and rocket pods?

Shouldn't it look more like this one?   :lol:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

Nice work, Zac....way to bash 'er up !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Hehe thanks rickshaw! I am contemplating a US Army scheme when/if I get my own Bensen. Is that one of the Corgi Little Nellies? My dad and I built the Airfix kit and the rotorhead on yours just doesn't look right.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, more and more I find myself digging through the spares box and picking out, say, a seat, and just going from there. Great fun, a challenge to my skills, and often the only way to get a certain subject.
Zac in NZ

Sisko

Nice little kit bash mate! :thumbsup:

Great use of parts and the best thing is that it's 100% orginal.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Nick

I saw one of these on Mad Max last night, forgot how great that film is! :tank: