VC-10 AEW-5

Started by JayBee, October 14, 2009, 10:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

When the Royal Air Force started to look for a replacement for the Shackleton AEW2, they found they had quite a problem on their hands as both the airframe, and the radar system, had to be completely replaced. The old ones had no development potential left!
After many submissions from industry, and trials by individual manufacturers, the decision was made to base the new AEW platform on the Vickers VC-10 airframe. The radar system would follow the American pattern of using a rotodome mounted high above the fuselage but with British electronics.
The aircraft was based on the standard VC-10 airframe, but with the fuselage shortened, and the four RR Conway turbo-jets replaced with a pair of High-bypass turbo-fans.
Early flight trials highlighted a problem in that the tailplane suffered from turbulence from the rotodome when the aircraft was at moderately high angles of attack, for example when landing.
It was not possible to lower the rotodome as this would introduce problems of blanking of the radar signal. So the decision was made to increase the height of the fin/rudder. This solution worked.
The aircraft continues in service to-day with two squadrons of the RAF.

This is the second of three 1/144 scale WhIf's that were started about ten years ago, and resurected fairly recently. The first to be completed was the Nimrod MR2
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25003.0.html

This photo shows the three fuselages as they were when they were re-discovered.

The next two show how the fin was extended.

These show the build mostly completed.

The model is completed and I hope to get the photos taken, and posted, in the next two days.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

batmancustoms

John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

ChernayaAkula

The high fin and the big engines look very good on this VC10. :wub: Make it look pretty modern.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

thedarkmaster

Liking the look of this and how it's turning out, I'm going to watch with interest  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

BlackOps

Jim, really nice work on the tail extension! Thank you for the in progress shots :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Hobbes

Excellent! There was a profile of a VC-10 AEW here a few years ago, I'm looking forward to seeing one 'in the plastic'.

What engines did you use?

Ed S

You're off to a good start.  I look forward to seeing this one with its frisbee on top.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

B777LR

Wow, that is so sexy i can't post my actual thoughts here for the sake of children! Cool. It really does look nice with those engines. Shortened fuselage?
It has some Sentinel over it's looks :thumbsup:

JayBee

Hobbes, the engines came from the Revel Airbus BELUGA.

Well to-day has turned out nice and bright, giving good light for photos.

One point that I must make is that this is the first time I have made my own transfers using the computer and ink-jet printer. The carrier film turned out a little bit thick, but it is a learning process.

.... and now the photos.

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

JayBee

Quote from: B787 on October 14, 2009, 01:23:24 PM

It has some Sentinel over it's looks :thumbsup:

You are not the first to say that, one of the guys that I work with said the same when he saw the early photos.
He is a keen modeller, and has now embarked on a new project........ an MR Airbus 320!

Another convert to the true cause :drink:

Cats are not real. 

Captain Canada

Now that is just plain gorgeous....very well done. An awesome conversion of one of nature's most beautiful aeroplanes......and I have to agree, with the taller tail and new engines, she sure does look like a hopped up Sentinel !

Great job....looking forward to #3 !

:cheers: :wub: :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hman

"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

Green Dragon

Excellent job JayBee!  :wub: :thumbsup: I've always thought they should bung two big turbofans on the VC-10.
Every time a Global Express flies over it reminds me of a mini VC-10, got the same style "Whale Tail".

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

pyro-manic

I'm sure I've seen a photo of a VC-10 testing a big turbofan, with it on the left and it's two normal Conways on the right. Very strange...

Brilliant build, Jim - certainly looks the part!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

JayBee

Hi Alun,
yes it was an RB-211 when it was under testing.
I would have liked to have used RR engines for the model, but I just had to use what I had. Sigh!

Cheers,

Jim

Cats are not real.