SEA Vietnam aircraft the USAF never had there:

Started by Daryl J., October 05, 2009, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Lockheed Ventura, turrets removed, forward firing gunship with attachment points for the usual and customary SEA under wing loadout, extra fuel for loitering time.

P-59 with upgraded engines and again used for light ground attack.

Fw-189 equipped with the same turbine engines as the OV-10, requipped for COIN duties.

Daryl J.

TsrJoe

HS. Kestrel or AV.8A Harrier?

i think John Lacey (maverick) did some neat profiles for modelling inspiration of some 'alternate vietnam' air war some time ago, eg. Army A.4 Skyhawk, etc.

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

tigercat2

How about surplus T-33s, F2Hs, or other similar vintage aircraft flown as remote controlled drones, for recce or bombing missions.

Wes W.

chrisonord

How about turbo propped F7's with a nose full of guns and a load out of either cluster munitions and or Napalm.
Or fit them out with infa red sensors for night operations against the Ho Chi Min trail?
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

van883

How about the F-86H Sabre - there were still some in ANG service at the time. Same goes for F-84F Thunderstreaks.

Van

Mossie

F-107's.
A-10's available earlier, now that might have made an impact!
F-11 Tigers, either continuing in USN service, or replacing the F-104 in USAF service.

I like Joes suggestion of AV-8A's.  Harrier might actually have been used as was supposed to be.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

One thing on the must-do-one-of-these-years list is an F-107 with the intake put back in the ventral position and SEA cammo and markings from an F-105D.

Surplus F-94 Starfire for CAS - all those rockets....... :blink:

F-106 gunfighter program done earlier and the aircraft sent to 'nam with Vulcans and possibly normal windscreens too. Maybe put fuel in the bits of the bay not used by the gun pack, and then carry Sparrows/Sidewinders on wing and fuselage pylons.

Something I've theorised before: what if the Phantom never happened? You might get a developed F-105 with a bigger wing for more air-to-air ability.

Maybe the USAF realises it needs a dogfighter and buys F-8 Crusaders with A-7-style Vulcan installations.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Martin Mars gunship anyone?
These could have been refuelled and re loaded at sea, away from enemy fire. arm it with 40 mm cannon 105 Howitzers and Gecal gatling guns.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

mwf4nut

P-61 overall OD, fuel tanks or rocket pods on the wingtips.  Remove the top turret and put a bunch of guns in the nose like the B-25's had.  What the heck, throw some pylons outboard of the engines for rocket pods, gun pods, bombs, napalm, etc.  Maybe make it a turbo prop too!

Mark
Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies simply because they become fashion.  G.K. Chesterton

Shasper

Quote from: Weaver on October 06, 2009, 10:43:01 AM
Maybe the USAF realises it needs a dogfighter and buys F-8 Crusaders with A-7-style Vulcan installations.

While not armed with an M61:

A "Project Gunfighter" F-8F Crusader circa '67-'68ish 
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

tigercat2

Quote from: Weaver on October 06, 2009, 10:43:01 AM
One thing on the must-do-one-of-these-years list is an F-107 with the intake put back in the ventral position and SEA cammo and markings from an F-105D.

Surplus F-94 Starfire for CAS - all those rockets....... :blink:

F-106 gunfighter program done earlier and the aircraft sent to 'nam with Vulcans and possibly normal windscreens too. Maybe put fuel in the bits of the bay not used by the gun pack, and then carry Sparrows/Sidewinders on wing and fuselage pylons.

Something I've theorised before: what if the Phantom never happened? You might get a developed F-105 with a bigger wing for more air-to-air ability.

If the Phantom had never happened, the Navy would have been flying the F9U Crusader III; a superb air to air machine.  The USAF would have purchased their full complement of F-105s, some 1500 aircraft, and still would have developed the F-111.  From what I have ready, the USAF came close to purchasing the A-6 to use for night/all weather attacks until the F-111 came along. 

One thing that probably would not have occured was the Tri-Service designation system that came about largely due to MacNamara's confusion over the fact that the F4H-1 and the F-110A were the same aircraft.  So we would probably still have the separate Navy and Air Force designation schemes; many what if possibilities there!!

Wes W.

Daryl J.

Geoff

philp

I will be doing a B-26 Maruader in the Nomad design.  Still trying to figure how to get those 8 x .50s in that round nose though.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ChernayaAkula

P-61E with some modifications. Something along the lines of the "Tropic Moon III" B-57G with Pave Gat turret.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?