AT-28 Enforcer.

Started by chrisonord, October 05, 2009, 03:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Due to the increasing need for counter insurgency aircraft by the Honduras air force, JML Aviation was called upon to drag yet another museum piece from the bone yard. This aircraft had to be a 2 seater, so as to be used as a training aircraft as well as a COIN and CAS aircraft. It needed to be fitted with a turbo prop engine of similar specification to the other aircraft with turbo prop motors, be able to carry a varied weapons load and be capable of carrying Aim-9 Sidewinders.
JML found 4 T-28 Fennec/Trojan airframes in the aircraft bone yard, in various states of disassembly, and 1 perfectly preserved airframe with no engine. This airframe will be used for the main part of the re build and will be the prototype aircraft. Rolls Royce were again contacted for the turbo prop engines, as these engines were used in several of the other rebuild aircraft, and are a particular favourite of the Honduras airforce service engineers due to their ease of service long service intervals and rugged reliability in all environments.

The kit is the 1/72nd scale Heller T-28 Trojan/Fennec. Modifications include, clipped wing tips and tip tanks, 6 additional hard points, turbo prop conversion made from the exhaust end of a Saab Draken, 3 blade clipped prop from a mosquito, FLIR turret made from an airsoft plastic BB.
This is one of the two I will be making of these conversions, and it looks quite big when compared to the P-47N conversion I did not so long back, and it dwarfs the Tucano and turbo mentor I have.
Cheers,
Chris.

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

wolfik

with so much weapons it would be an excelent dive bomber  ;D
the T-28 Trojan is allways worth a nice conversion

Sauragnmon

cute little bird, definitely, chris - the green really lights up on that camo scheme.  Love the blue spinner too, and the loadout's pretty rounded too.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Captain Canada

That's really cool ! Looks fat or pudgy but fast and powerful ! Love the camo and weapons load.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: chrisonord on October 05, 2009, 03:02:58 AM

Modifications include, clipped wing tips and tip tanks, 6 additional hard points, turbo prop conversion made from the exhaust end of a Saab Draken, 3 blade clipped prop from a mosquito, FLIR turret made from an airsoft plastic BB.

And if I'm not mistaken a "cold" harrier GR5/7/9/AV8B exhaust nozzle perhaps?  Looking good!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

KiwiZac

That is a beast, I love the loadout! Excellent idea.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Very cool. Considered a similar conversion some time ago (inspired by the Taiwanese Trojans with turboprops), but never got to work on that idea. Nice to see which potential the concept carries.  :thumbsup:

Librarian

I do so love these COINish beauties and the camo is gorgeous. Inspiring too, I really want to revisit some ideas I was working on around the Bearcat now. Turbocat ;D. Sounds like my puss after a curry.

Dizzyfugu

Don't stir ideas - I still have one of the Hercules engines left that created my Turbo Fury trio, as well as at least one Monogram F8F...  :wacko:
Doing such a combo in SEA scheme as agile USAF pathfinder could work...  :rolleyes:

Librarian

I'd like to put turboprops onto several radials but I've always been stumped by their big, barrel-shaped fuselages....did a Skyraider once and that was enough. TOO much work.

Has anyone ever done this with WWI aircraft...turboproped Dreidekker ;D.