Supermarine type 338, a proposed Seafire from 1939......

Started by wolfik, October 03, 2009, 01:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfik

...no....sorry guys....I need any info!  :wub:
please help me out...
buyed a tamyia spit and now hoping for info... :rolleyes:

many thanks and best regards
Peter

GTX

Quote from: wolfik on October 03, 2009, 01:38:33 PM
...no....sorry guys....I need any info!  :wub:
please help me out...
buyed a tamyia spit and now hoping for info... :rolleyes:

many thanks and best regards
Peter

I assume you are referring to the proposed FAA Spitfire with a Griffon Engine and Folding wings - does this help:

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

apophenia

Thanks Greg, fascinating project!

The Type 338 was a Merlin XII-engined project based on the Mk.I. So, at a guess, we can combine the wing fold from Greg's Griffon-engined project with a fuselage/engine like a Spitfire Mk.II?

Tophe

I have somewhere in my home the Bible Book of the Spit: "Spitfire the History" (by Morgan & Shacklady, Key Pub., updated edition). Have you checked it? Otherwise, I may do it... someday (sorry).
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

wolfik

hi all!!!
its as allways cool and good to know the experts are here.... :cheers:
many thanks!!!
and Tophe....please look some day in your book ....maybe you will find any other drawing?  :bow:

best regards
Peter

Tophe

I have found the book again.
"Spitfire, The History" by Eric B. Morgan & Edward Shacklady, Key Publishing, 1987/1993
For your subject, sorry, there is no Supermarine 338 in the index. But overleafing, there is things that may please you:
- the type 333: 2-seater to N8/39 (below left), with Griffon and Merlin versions
- a butterfly-tail version from the Spitfire Mk.IV (below right), together with the picture presented above.
The views are very reduced here, not to break a Copyright (if you like them, buy the book!).
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sequoiaranger

I am excited by the prospects of seeing ANY of the three Supermarine projects modeled. I never knew they existed.

As far as the 338 goes, the fold-back wing would certainly facilitate carrier storage, and the wider stance would make landings a little more "friendly". It looks like the wheels would retract into the outer wing. The whole wing structure obviously would have to be changed, with commensurate weight penalties. The Hurricane-like central radiator might also have aerodynamic penalties. But all in all I like it.

The 2-seater is an odd-looking bird. Rival to the Fulmar?

The Vee-tail is the most intriguing. It looks like the wings are the long-span type like the Spit Mk VII. The shape of the plane, and its bubble canopy suggest a mid-late-war design. Looking like a Spiteful with longer wings. The little "spoon" at the wing roots is interesting, like a Heinkel He-70. Any specs (wingspan, length, engine, etc.)?

SOMEBODY make these whifs, PLEASE!!!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Mossie

That'll teach me to take a long time to post, Tophe beat me to it!  I found the pic of the V-tailed Type 338 on Secret Projects.

Taken from Secret Projects, larger version there:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,978.30.html

I've got a pic somewhere of the original Spitfire Mk.IV DP845 that the two drawings were derived from, basically a Spit III with a Griffon.  DP845 went through several changes as the Griffon testbed, eventually becoming the prototype for the Mk.XII.  I'll see if I can dig the pic out.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

apophenia

Tophe's Type 333 illustration seems to confirm the backward-folding wings. Now the question is: how much did the March '42 Griffon-powered Type 338 proposal differ from the original 1939 version with Merlin XII?

jcf

Type 337 (Spitfire Mk. IV) drawing from Supermarine Aircraft since 1914, Andrew & Morgan, Putnam 1981 (1987 NIP).

Jon

Mossie

Found that pic, mocked up with six cannon.

There's a snippet on this site from Jeffrey Quill's 'Spitfire: A Test Pilots Story' which gives the story of DP845:
http://www.crew-green.com/Griffon%20Spitfire.htm

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.