Anti-Radiation Missiles

Started by Sauragnmon, August 06, 2009, 03:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Here's a random thought - Phoenix ARM anybody?  The Falcon was given an ARM variant, I'm just left to wonder if the Phoenix couldn't have been given a similar design.  Similarly, what if the Phoenix had been designed multirole from the start, with an A2G or ARM variant on the high-speed, long-range, big-warhead missile.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

I suggested a Pheonix ARM on one of the Tomcat threads: should have been a doddle to adapt a Standard ARM seeker to it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Sauragnmon

Hmm, I would imagine so, in theory.  Though I have two Standard ARMs, I likely will keep them intact, as they'll look nice on some big interceptor in the role of the Seekbat - no external difference between the two.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on August 06, 2009, 07:18:29 PM
Hmm, I would imagine so, in theory.  Though I have two Standard ARMs, I likely will keep them intact, as they'll look nice on some big interceptor in the role of the Seekbat - no external difference between the two.

I don't think a Phoenix ARM would be externally any different from the AAM version anyway, other than maybe colour bands and stencilling.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

anthonyp

Quote from: Sauragnmon on August 06, 2009, 07:18:29 PM

You mean like this:

;D ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Sauragnmon

Mmmmm that is a pretty bird, quite a nice little swing-wing Eagle design you have there Anthony.  What're those baby-standards?

anthonyp

AIM-162's (airborne RIM-162 ESSM's).  Check out the build thread for details.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Sauragnmon

Nice, that's a pretty interesting concept, she's basically carrying a whole handful of naval missiles modified for an aircraft platform.

elmayerle

I don't know about an ARM version of the AIM-54, though I'd argue that the "home-on-jam' function already gets you well on the way there, but there was an ARM version of the AIM-47 studied, the AGM-76.

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-76.html
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Sauragnmon

I actually studied the AGM-76 for a while before I mentioned the question originally, Evan - I was thinking of it as a real High Speed ARM.

elmayerle

Actually, I suspect the Russians have high-speed ARMs, there's one of their rocket-boosted/ramjoet-powered ARMs that looks like it could be sent after AWACS aircraft and I suspect the ARM verion of "Sunburn", and it's air-launched sibling, could well be targeted at Aegis-equipped ships.  In both cases, taking out both the warning and control nodes in the combat net would drastically impair their enemies.

Sauragnmon

I don't think there's a Sunburn ARM per se, but I know there is the Kh-31P "Mini-moskit" that is meant for hunting AWACS, and there's also the Kh-22P Kitchen ARM which is a monster because not only is it an ARM, it packs a ton of explosives and will turn your radar source into a very nicely sized smoking hole.

The Phoenix ARM was a partial concept in my case of an American Fast-ARM - the HARM is fast... ish... but it doesn't really have either big kick or big speed.

elmayerle

I know I've seen either Sunburn or it's air-launched equivalent (Kh-41 "Moskit"?) listed as having a variant with an ARM seeker.  That definitely works for hunting AEGIS while the Kh-31Ps take care of E-2s, E-3s, et al.

Sauragnmon

Well, there Might be an ARM version of the Kh-41/ASM-MMS which would be a somewhat decent way to strike at an AEGIS system, though a 650mm ADCAP would probably be a whole hell of a lot more effective.

elmayerle

True, but you've got to get a whole lot closer to use a 50mm ADCAP.  I could see the initial wave of an attack on a CVBG to concentrate on taking out the Hawkeyes and the Aegis ships because that'd take out the majority of the nodes of the command and control net and drastically reduce the battle groups ability to defend itself.