Preparation for Natural Metal Finish

Started by Mossie, September 30, 2009, 03:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

There's a lot of info on the web about various methods for creating a natural metal finish.  Almost all of these pages mention that you should prepare the surface before hand, but largely gloss over this process.  So how do you go about it & what products should you use?

Thanks! :party:

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Basically, preparation consists of PSR, and maybe a coat of base paint. The idea is to get a nice smooth, unblemished surface as the NMF will show up any imperfections.

Mossie

I understand that, but how far do you go?  Just a smooth surface, or a polished one?  The highest grit sandpaper I have is 600, I'm guessing you need to go much higher than that?  Also, are products such as Mr Surfacer useful?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

First off, it depends on what you're using - there's a world of difference between using a Halfords spraycan and airbrushing Alclad!  As long as your primer basecoat is nice and smooth you should be OK.  Unless you're spraying Alclad, in which case you want gloss black...

As for Mr Surfacer....it seems to be one of those products that some people swear by, and others just don't see the big deal (ie me!)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Hobbes

I haven't done NMF on an entire aircraft, but I'm preparing one at the moment.
- I've sanded down any puttied areas with grit up to 1200
- then primer (good old Humbrol 1 for me, but this depends on the NMF you're using. Alclad needs its own primer)
- sand down the primer with 2000 grit

that should be smooth enough to apply the MNF.

Mr. Surfacer is very handy as the last step in filling any surface defects. With putty, it's hard to get a seamless join to the plastic when the defect is shallow: there comes a point where the layer of putty is too thin to hold so I'm often left with a little step or tear between the plastic and putty. Mr. Surfacer can be used to eliminate this.
It can also be used as a primer (I've never done this though, and you need cellulose thinner to thin it enough for airbrush use).

jcf

Gloss black undercoat for Alclad is only necessary for Chrome and Polished Aluminum.

Mossie

Thanks guys.  It's the T-4MS that I'm thinking of hitting with such a finish.  I'm planning on brush painting using Games Workshop's Citadel Colour Metallics, I acheived a pretty good finish.  I've managed to find a place today that does 1000 & 1200 grit, I've had trouble finding these locally before.  I'll order some Mr Surfacer, as the resin isn't that smooth in places.  There's a spray available would this or the standard stuff be better?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

jcf

Simon, Mr. Surfacer is sold in a spray, however as it is basically just acrylic-lacquer auto-body primer why not spray a couple coats of Halfords Filler Primer? Its pretty much the same stuff, and probably much cheaper.

PM me your postal address and I'll send along some of the sanding and polishing films and papers I use, I buy the stuff in bulk from
jewelry suppliers so I have loads. The cuts go from 100 micron (120 grit) down to 1 micron (8000 grit).

Jon

Mossie

Jon, you're very kind.  :thumbsup: PM on it's way.

dragon

I have seen fantastic work with the Testors Metallizer series.  I myself have trouble with the stuff.  It looks fine until I spray the Glosscote, Semi-Glosscote, or Dullcote.  Then it looks toy like. Well, at least 50% of the time.
:banghead:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Geoff

I have been using Mr Color, buffs up to a nice finish but I sprayed Humbrol satin varnish and it went v matt

Mossie

Humbrol varnishes can be a little hit & miss.  I used the matt one recentley & it gave a wonderful matt finish on the first coat, but discloured the it on the second, fortunately it was a weathered finish I was going for.

For those in the UK wishing to get hold of Testors Metalizer, Creative Models now stock the whole Testors paints & finishing range.
http://www.creativemodels.net/index.php?osCsid=6f963b62900358d81624e61a98691d1d