RAF A-10 Whif

Started by Keith Diamond, September 29, 2009, 03:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Diamond

RAF A-10 from the Persian Gulf War

Academy 1/72nd kit with a mix of Model Alliance and homemade decals.  The ALQ-119 and AIM-9Ls are from the Hasegawa weapons set, while the rest of the weapons are from the box.  I used a True Details ejection seat, which was nicely detailed, but actually represents a F-16 style ACES II and once I placed it in the cockpit, I noticed that it seemed undersized as well. 

As with the Cuban Viper, Promodeller wash was used both on the kit and the base.  The base was a wooden base from Hobby Lobby that was stained with Minwax and coated with some polyurethane. 

Not a bad build, had some trouble along the way, but I had fun with it, especially with the custom decal work. ;)

Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Keith Diamond

"Wet Martini"
The artwork printed real nice, but ended up a little blurred after the wash.  The same happened with the kill marks on the other side as well.

My favorite part of this Whif.   ;)

Hope you like it!

ChernayaAkula

That so looks so right in so many ways! Awesome work!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Bungle

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Green Dragon

Looks great Keith, that boarding ladder door pic looks real interesting!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Ed S

Looks good.  I always wondered why more of the NATO countries didn't buy Warthogs in the 70's & 80's with all that Russian armor sitting in eastern Europe.  Then they would have also had them for the Gulf wars.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

pyro-manic

Simple - the Americans were the only ones who could afford to buy a single-purpose aircraft.

Fantastic build, and a very apt choice of squadron markings. :mellow:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Radish

Lovely stuff!!

Smeds over on Britmodeller is doing a 1/32nd 2-seat RAF A-10 :o :o
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Keith Diamond

Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote from: pyro-manic on September 30, 2009, 07:45:13 AM
Fantastic build, and a very apt choice of squadron markings. :mellow:

Yeah, I forgot about that.  When I was looking at the decal sheet, I saw one set of markings with the script "Flying Canopeners"  Too bad, I couldn't put the script on the tails or nacelles without it looking cluttered. 

Army of One

At work n on nights at mo......found this beauty.....love it,colour scheme,load out n decals....shame bout the blurring...
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

ysi_maniac

I am absolutely impressed! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Looks good Keith - great paint job!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Ed S on September 30, 2009, 07:38:22 AM
Looks good.  I always wondered why more of the NATO countries didn't buy Warthogs in the 70's & 80's with all that Russian armor sitting in eastern Europe.  Then they would have also had them for the Gulf wars.

Ed

I suspect that most European air arms looked askance at it's lack of all-weather capability and doubted it's survivability due to it's low speed.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

batmancustoms

John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

McColm

Brilliant,
If only the Royal Navy had bought some, there would be a joint service unit with the RAF and Fleet Air Arm by now.
:drink: