Missiles not usually seen on aircraft types ...

Started by TsrJoe, September 29, 2009, 08:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

BAe Hawk Mk51A armed with a single CATM. R-60 (AA-8 Aphid) infra red missile aquisition round
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Spey_Phantom

got something similar, an Indian SU-30MKI with a wester Litening pod

and a modified Hawk SAM mounted under the wing of an Iranian Tomcat

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

There was a UK project for an anti-tank missile called Sabre, which was basically a Rapier with a bulged nose section for a bigger warhead. There was also one to fit Seacat to a Wasp as an anti-FPB weapon. They eventually rejected it in favour of AS.12, followed by Sea Skua.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Just call me Ray

The Indian Sukhio I can see but what's the story with the Hawk/Aphid combo?
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

dy031101

Quote from: Just call me Ray on September 29, 2009, 10:11:52 AM

To train pilots for their then-active MiG-21?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Just call me Ray

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Meteorit

Quote from: dy031101 on September 29, 2009, 10:32:22 AM
Quote from: Just call me Ray on September 29, 2009, 10:11:52 AM

To train pilots for their then-active MiG-21?

Actually until recently the Finnish Hawks had a secondary second-line air defence role.

elmayerle

An Eagle or Strike Eagle in French service and carrying strictly French weaponry?  For the Strike Eagle, perhaps replacing the EO LANTIRN pod with a equivalent French-built pod?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

dy031101

Some what-if ideas.

There were also constant rumours that Pakistan might upgrade their F-16A/B fleet with Italian Grifo radar and PRC's SD-10 MRAAM before the MLU upgrade deal became official.  Might have been a fun what-if.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Fulcrum

What about American missiles on Russian Migs?

(One possible idea with a loadout on a Mig-29M(from wingtip towards the fuselage):AIM-9X Sidewinder, AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-65 Maverick & a 500 kg LJDAM(or if the LJDAM is unsuitable, 2/4 250kg SDB's) :wacko: :o)
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

trekaddict

As in the NATO compatible Mig-29 the Luftwaffe used for a while after the reunification?

Fulcrum

Quote from: trekaddict on October 03, 2009, 01:05:03 AM
As in the NATO compatible Mig-29 the Luftwaffe used for a while after the reunification?
No, the Luftwaffle still had to get supplies of R-27s & R-73s from Russia.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Weaver

Along similar lines, how about a plain vanilla Su-25 with a variety of LGBs accompanied by a modified Su25UB two-seater with a western designator pod on the centreline and tanks and ECM pods on the wings, acting as a "spiker/protector"? Both of them could have Western AAMs for self-defence. The back story would be that it's a former Eastern-bloc country making an effort to help in a NATO-led effort.

The bombs could be any "Paveway-ized" standard bombs, including Whiff Russian bombs with the kit added. The Seld-defence AAMs could be Sidewinder/Magic/AMRAAM, but you'd have to ask why they'd bother if they still had Russian stocks, since AA-8 Aphid is lighter and AA-11 Archer is competetively good.

US fit: Litening (modern) or Pave-spike/Pave-Tack from the Hase weapons set (2nd hand cast-offs) and ALQ-119s/131s.

Brit Fit: TIALD, Skyshadow and BOZ/Phimat

French Fit: French LGB kits (slightly different from Paveway), ATLIS (2nd hand) or Damocles (new) and Phimat. Not sure what ECM pods are available in kits, but Barem and Remora seem likely.

Could always mix and match, of course: Paveway bombs (widely available), TIALD designator (probably the best available 2nd hand), and French ECM (probably the easiest to buy).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Mossie

Unusual to see missiles at all on a Hunter, although Switzerland & Singapore used Sidewinders.

Hawker P.1109B, with Firestreaks & radar nose:

Supermarine Swift with Fairey Fireflash.  Fireflash itself is pretty unusual in it's configuration & was pretty rubbish but gave the RAF some good experience with AAM's until Firestreak came along.

Mine own pics of Firestreak & Fireflash:

Firestreak

Fireflash
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.